cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JC93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Constant unpredictable drops in connection, poor exterior cabling - who's responsibility is this?

Go to solution

I recently started a new tenancy for this year (I'm a student) and renewed my contract with BT for another 12 months, but the connection has been so poor that I rarely get a 20minute period where the connection doesn't drop atleast once. When the BT engineer set up the connection he mentioned that there was a fault but it was as he put it "outside of BTs responsibility" - he then quoted something a long the lines of "anything 5 metres outside the property would be illegal for us to touch". I rang my landlord and they said that they never deal with the internet and it is the responsibility of BT to get it sorted. I then called BT who conducted a number of tests and resulted in them concluding that the fault does not lie with them, however they would get an engineer out to look at it, but if it turns out that its not a problem with their installation then it would cost me £430 (obviously this is not an option).

So I find myself at a dead end really, neither the landlord nor ISP will claim responsiblity for the connection. I have looked at the wiring coming from my flat and it is incredibly old, frayed & generally a mess - I'm almost certain that the fault lies within this cabling. Here are some pictures to better explain the wiring.

This is the roof in which the wiring runs, it leaves my flat on the left and runs to the end of the roof to a box where all the cabling from each flat joins up.

As you can see the cabling is completely open to the elements, which may not be a problem if the entirity of the cabling didn't look like this: 

It then ends up at this mess:

Clearly the wires are exposed to the elements, the bin bag over (what I assume is) the exchange is a temporary cover as since I moved in the box has been getting rained on daily. 

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue, as I really have no idea where to turn as far as this is concerned.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Constant unpredictable drops in connection, poor exterior cabling - who's responsibility is this

Go to solution
the network is the property of Openreach not BT has your phone line got any noise when you dial 17070 option 2

if it has when connected to the test socket the you need to report it to BT so they can arrange an Openreach engineers visit if there is noise at the test socket then there is NO Charge
also the charges are an advisory only and is 129.99 not 430.00
0 Ratings
JC93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Re: Constant unpredictable drops in connection, poor exterior cabling - who's responsibility is this

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me so quicky.

There is no dial tone when plugged into any sockets, test or no - so I'm unable to ring that number you quoted. I suppose this means I should call openreach/BT? If so, what number do I contact them by?

edit: @john46 I rang BT and they gave me the same shtick that they don't think the fault is with them but they could arrange an engineer but I would be charged if it was my fault. How am I supposed to work out whether or not the fault is with BT/openreach or myself? I can't just risk being charged. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

if you have no dial tone if you connect to the test socket then you need an engineer visit which will then be at no charge

you need to phone BT on 0800 800 151 or 151 from a BT land line

Test Socket.jpg

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
also the engineer that set up your connection was from Openreach as BT do not have engineers they all come from Openreach he should have sorted out any problems not left you like that
0 Ratings
JC93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@john46 Thanks, sorry that I'm confusing openreach with BT, I don't quite know the difference. 

I'm going to test the phone with my neighbours to make sure there is no chance that the phone is at fault, once that is done I'll arrange for an engineer. My only worry is that he will claim the fault is "outside their responsiblity" like the previous engineer did, as I don't really have an answer for that.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
The engineer was notdoing his job properly Openreach are responsible for the supply and maintenance of the network for all providers not just BT the last engineer should have done the job properly

BT are a service provider. Openreach supply and maintain the phone / broadband network forall providers
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @JC93,

Looking at your pics, the cabling seems to have been left in a really bad state. I'll be able to help get your service repaired. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
JC93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@PaddyB Thanks for getting in touch, Paddy. I've sent you my details via the "contact the mods" button.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for picking this thread up Paddy I don't think I have seen anything so bad for a long time