cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MacBraveheart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Constantly locked out of email due to suspicious activity (more recently no warnings at all...)

Question for you folk in the know-  why does BT (Yahoo or not) email keep locking me out when I have one device, don't make a sign in mistake in the saved data on the one device which is set to check my mail every five minutes?

I ask because I have now asked three people this year alone why this is happening and no one can give me an answer (ANY answer, or one which is truthful).

History (don't read unless you need your bed and suffer from insomnia):  I started out as a BT email user back in the 90s, always using it on a Mac, using the Mail programme (no support, but that is OK as I am not exactly helpless).

Then I was switched to BT Yahoo without so much as by your leave.

Then, a few years ago (it must be about three or so?) all hell broke loose with constant suspicious activity alerts which had me change my email's password five times a day, upto four days a week.

I was told not to worry-  my BT Yahoo mail would become BT email once more, and everything would be rosy.

But it just went on and on to the point that I could do this with one tied behind my back, sometimes every week at least once, sometimes nothing for a month or so.

Fast forward to August 2016 when, for no reason at all, I was locked out again.  I changed the password, thinking it was same-old, same-old, but this time nothing doing.  No amount of password changing worked.  I started receiving codes (new one, but hey-  not complaining!) which also didn't do much of anything.  I was still locked out.

Upon checking the website I was faced with the question-  what email service do you use?  I thought-  "let's check" and was surprised to learn that the site believes that I am NOT a BT Yahoo email user but a BT email user.  Yay!

Erm-  "yay"?

Because I was locked out of my account good and proper this time, being told that I had incorrectly answered my own security questions!

I ended up having to deal with customer support (don't get me started on BT customer support as I had on ongoing issue with my telephone line for 2 years, one month and six days) who reset my password and told me that this would never, ever, ever, ever happen again.  And that I'd get a call from their colleagues in Yahoo mail (eh?!) to follow up.  I got this call and thought that it didn't really matter WHAT/WHO claimed my email as theirs-  as long as it worked.

But today it happened again.  Only this time I was told by the site that I had had too many failed log in attempts (only-  I had none at all, as I only have the one device and the password is set correctly, duh).  Same vicious circle of being locked out, receiving the code to reset the password, resetting it on the ONE device I have, waiting, waiting, waiting, and nothing.  Locked out, and waiting some more.  Next time-  my sign in details were not even recognised.  Brilliant...

One chat later (waiting for 17 minutes for an agent) I am assured that it is permanently fixed and because I had devices using the wrong details.  Argh.

I really would just like to know what is happening.  Because if I knew that I could perhaps do more to protect myself from it.  Hence the question at the top.  If anyone knows what IS actually happening-  please share:

• Is it the system in flux, or-
  • are there hackers about?

Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Constantly locked out of email due to suspicious activity (more recently no warnings at all...)

I'm going through a bit of a saga with similar issues just now.

Shocking service from BT

0 Ratings
MacBraveheart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Constantly locked out of email due to suspicious activity (more recently no warnings at all...)

I feel for you!  Did you get yours sorted (for now at least)?

Because, so far, I have had no more problems.  Fingers crossed!

The problem is that BT personnel wont actually tell me what the problem is, so I cannot even help myself here in some small way.  I guess that it is too much of an admission that the system is prone to something/whatever...  😞

Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

No, my problem still exists though I've been told that I'm next to get fixed hopefully.

The service I've received from both the online chat service and the call centre in India was attrocious. A few hours on the phone and hours more on chat.

You would think the company the size of BT would be able to fix these quicker.

I work in IT and wouldn't get away with the kind of service to my customers.

Glad yours is fixed

0 Ratings
MacBraveheart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Oh- it might be "fixed" for now but I don't expect that to last too long.  Smiley Wink

I have been told that it wouldn't (couldn't) happen again a couple of times now.  "Rest easy-  I can fix this for you" as though it were me making a mistake or a hacker getting in when, in fact, it was clear that no matter how many times I changed my password, receiving however many codes in one session, nothing was helping.

There is something wrong with a system which cannot cope with users doing as instructed and WORKING when they do.

But, so far, a week later and nothing more to report.  I will update this if I run into another problem, yet again.

Hopefully (ROFL!) BT are monitoring these forums and have plans to fix what they claimed they were getting around to a few years ago now.

Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@MacBraveheart wrote:

Question for you folk in the know-  why does BT (Yahoo or not) email keep locking me out when I have one device, don't make a sign in mistake in the saved data on the one device which is set to check my mail every five minutes?

I ask because I have now asked three people this year alone why this is happening and no one can give me an answer (ANY answer, or one which is truthful).

History (don't read unless you need your bed and suffer from insomnia):  I started out as a BT email user back in the 90s, always using it on a Mac, using the Mail programme (no support, but that is OK as I am not exactly helpless).

Then I was switched to BT Yahoo without so much as by your leave.

Then, a few years ago (it must be about three or so?) all hell broke loose with constant suspicious activity alerts which had me change my email's password five times a day, upto four days a week.

I was told not to worry-  my BT Yahoo mail would become BT email once more, and everything would be rosy.

But it just went on and on to the point that I could do this with one tied behind my back, sometimes every week at least once, sometimes nothing for a month or so.

Fast forward to August 2016 when, for no reason at all, I was locked out again.  I changed the password, thinking it was same-old, same-old, but this time nothing doing.  No amount of password changing worked.  I started receiving codes (new one, but hey-  not complaining!) which also didn't do much of anything.  I was still locked out.

Upon checking the website I was faced with the question-  what email service do you use?  I thought-  "let's check" and was surprised to learn that the site believes that I am NOT a BT Yahoo email user but a BT email user.  Yay!

Erm-  "yay"?

Because I was locked out of my account good and proper this time, being told that I had incorrectly answered my own security questions!

I ended up having to deal with customer support (don't get me started on BT customer support as I had on ongoing issue with my telephone line for 2 years, one month and six days) who reset my password and told me that this would never, ever, ever, ever happen again.  And that I'd get a call from their colleagues in Yahoo mail (eh?!) to follow up.  I got this call and thought that it didn't really matter WHAT/WHO claimed my email as theirs-  as long as it worked.

But today it happened again.  Only this time I was told by the site that I had had too many failed log in attempts (only-  I had none at all, as I only have the one device and the password is set correctly, duh).  Same vicious circle of being locked out, receiving the code to reset the password, resetting it on the ONE device I have, waiting, waiting, waiting, and nothing.  Locked out, and waiting some more.  Next time-  my sign in details were not even recognised.  Brilliant...

One chat later (waiting for 17 minutes for an agent) I am assured that it is permanently fixed and because I had devices using the wrong details.  Argh.

I really would just like to know what is happening.  Because if I knew that I could perhaps do more to protect myself from it.  Hence the question at the top.  If anyone knows what IS actually happening-  please share:

• Is it the system in flux, or-
  • are there hackers about?

A few general words of advice.

1. The suspicious activity problem is most likely due to your email client failing to connect to your account.  There can be several reasons for this that more information about your setup needs to be known to say why. These are often reported erroneously as wrong password when it is something else.

2. It is not advisable to automatically check your mail every 5 minutes.  Change your client so that a send/receive needs to be done manually or increase the time to the maximum you can tolerate eg from 5 to 30 minutes.

3. If you are using IMAP change to POP.

0 Ratings
MacBraveheart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

vofsanity2 wrote: 

1. The suspicious activity problem is most likely due to your email client failing to connect to your account.  There can be several reasons for this that more information about your setup needs to be known to say why. These are often reported erroneously as wrong password when it is something else.

2. It is not advisable to automatically check your mail every 5 minutes.  Change your client so that a send/receive needs to be done manually or increase the time to the maximum you can tolerate eg from 5 to 30 minutes.

Thank you for your reply/input.  Smiley Happy

1.  Highly unlikely in this case as that certainly wouldn't account for the same thing being reported by other customers since the announced move (back) to BT mail, or the fact that resetting the password fails.  Or the fact that it ONLY ever happens to one email address account out of my 13 which I use regularly.

2.  It is how I have operated (due to the work I do, ironically troubleshooting account access for a global market leader) since I got broadband over 11 years ago, and it hasn't ever been a problem before with any of my 13 email addresses.

3.  I am on POP.

FWIW (should have mentioned this, sorry)-  I have 13 (ten of them BT ones) email addresses all operating under the same set-up, and this one's truly the only one thus affected.

And the problem is not just that it happens in the first place-  it is that it is not possible to fix it with the tools provided by BT for precisely that purpose because these are glitched.  Smiley Wink

How is my email client or frequency of automated use responsible for the site erroring out and telling me I have tried to reset the password too many times when I haven't yet tried/just arrived?  Or claiming that my security answer is incorrect when I know it is correct and it IS?  Or the codes are sent, password reset and still "wrong"?  

At the end of the day, and any which way you look at it, the problem is not one authored by the customer-  it is a failing on BT's end.  Because if it were customer-authored (and it is evidently not) then four years down the line BT would have been wise to say so instead of fobbing off customers with "there is a fault but don't worry, I will sort it".

I think it will need BT to stop blaming customers for their own failings and get honest with themselves before progress can be made...  Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 8

@MacBraveheart wrote:

vofsanity2 wrote: 

Thank you for your reply/input.  Smiley Happy

1.  Highly unlikely in this case as that certainly wouldn't account for the same thing being reported by other customers since the announced move (back) to BT mail, or the fact that resetting the password fails.  Or the fact that it ONLY ever happens to one email address account out of my 13 which I use regularly.

Your conclusion is incorrect. There is something unique to the failing account. This could be your end, BT's end or a combination of both. The fact that other accounts work only helps to eliminate possible causes.

2.  It is how I have operated (due to the work I do, ironically troubleshooting account access for a global market leader) since I got broadband over 11 years ago, and it hasn't ever been a problem before with any of my 13 email addresses.

If you check your account every 5 minutes and it fails then 12 failures an hour would count as suspicious activity. You can stop this happening with the advice offered.  In any case the extra load imposed on the servers by X million customers doing this frequent checking cannot be good.

3.  I am on POP.

FWIW (should have mentioned this, sorry)-  I have 13 (ten of them BT ones) email addresses all operating under the same set-up, and this one's truly the only one thus affected.

And the problem is not just that it happens in the first place-  it is that it is not possible to fix it with the tools provided by BT for precisely that purpose because these are glitched.  Smiley Wink

How is my email client or frequency of automated use responsible for the site erroring out and telling me I have tried to reset the password too many times when I haven't yet tried/just arrived?  Or claiming that my security answer is incorrect when I know it is correct and it IS?  Or the codes are sent, password reset and still "wrong"?  

At the end of the day, and any which way you look at it, the problem is not one authored by the customer-  it is a failing on BT's end.  Because if it were customer-authored (and it is evidently not) then four years down the line BT would have been wise to say so instead of fobbing off customers with "there is a fault but don't worry, I will sort it".

I think it will need BT to stop blaming customers for their own failings and get honest with themselves before progress can be made...  Smiley Sad

There is no argument that BT email systems have problems.

There is no argument that BT helpdesk support is inadequate.

Until email system provision is regulated by Parliament this situation is unlikely to change.

0 Ratings