cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Constantly super SLOW broadband speed!

Hello. Never used these boards before so bear with me please. 

My boyfriend told me to pop on here as you kind people might be able to help. 

I've had a phone and broadband package with BT for about 19 months now, and my download rate is always sub 1Mb and generally lower than my upload rate.

I seem to be on a fixed 1Mb line. (Apparently; according to my boyfriend! Shh. I like kittens.) 

It's infuriating, to say the least, and working from home is a big issue. 

All equipment is tested and fine. 

Many thanks in advance for any help, tips, advice or kitten photos. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Constantly super SLOW broadband speed!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Will do, thanks for your reply 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:5 days, 17:55:20
Downstream:1.117 Mbps
Upstream:847.8 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):19.3 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.3 dB / 31.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):

12938 / 500

Quiet line test done. No noise whatsoever. 

Thanks again Jolly 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

can you go back to stats and 'show detail' and post rest of errors.

what about master or test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):19.7 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.3 dB / 31.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):12938 / 502
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):48290 / 458
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1096 / 236

Is that what you mean?

My main socket coming into my living room. The actual BT OPENREACH socket bit doesn't work and never has, but there is a line off it to which an ADSL filter is plugged in. It's been this way since I've lived here, and it hasn't always been this bad but has been now for months.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

your problem is you noise margin is to high at 19.7 as normal is about 6db.  your connection time is now good at 5 days were you having problems with router dropping connection or were you manually resetting connectio to try and improve speed or both?

if you can get noise margin down to 6db then conenction speed will improve.  you need to remain conencted 24/7 with nor manual reset and contact the mods and ask them to reset your noise margin to 6db.  if conenction is banded which sometimes happens I would expect it to sort automatically already.

contact mods

can take up to 5/6 working days for mods to contact you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Oh i should probably add that the main BT socket I just mentioned, has a test socket under the cover on the lower half. That bit does work. I know because it's been open on various occasions when BT have had issues and they've run me through tests at home. 

The extension coming off it works, because the phone is also plugged in to that, and the ADSL filter is relatively new as they suggested that may be causing problems when I had a problem not so long ago. It wasn't the problem, but I ended up leaving the new filter in regardless. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

ok but looks stable enough now so getting noise margin reset to 6db will give speed increase back to something like it used to be

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

I tried to improve connection speed by rebooting the homehub. I've not had connection problems for a couple of months I don't think. (That I've noticed , anyway.)

I'm not sure I fully understand the rest of your reply... I need to contact forum moderators and they can reset the Db level? In the mean time I need to leave my homehub online 24/7? (I do usually anyway, it was only off for a reboot).

Thanks, and sorry for being a bit dim!

0 Ratings