cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Continually getting asked to change email account password

We have several sub email accounts under a primary email account. We are still on BT/Yahoo mail.

For several months now, we frequently get problems accessing one of the sub accounts from our computer, phone etc. When we then log onto email account from the main BT website to check there, we are sent to a page that says your account may be compromised and asks us to change our password. This has happened countless times. Sometimes we can get a week or so between these requests, other times it may be only a few hours. For instance we had to change the password yet again this morning after only changing it yesterday evening.

Only one of our email accounts has this problem - the rest we have no problems with. I have checked the virus protection of our computers and ran virus scans. I have also checked the settings etc. on the email account to ensure that they have not been changed.

This is getting to be a real pain as it means we have to go to the bother of continually changing passwords on our computer and phone etc. What can be done to solve this problem.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Continually getting asked to change email account password

It is a long running problem with BTYahoo and there is no apparent fix for it and it is unlikely that there will be a fix developed because BT are moving away from Yahoo. Once your email account has been migrated away from Yahoo to BTMail the problem should stop.

Unfortunately there is no time scale as to when you will be migrated to BTMail.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

I suspected that that might be the case and that it will go away when we get migrated to BT mail. However it is a very frustrating and annoying problem, especially with not knowing what is happening with regard to the the migration.

We have delayed asking about the problem because we kept thinking that we would get changed over soon. However with nothing happening since the abortive changeover last year, when after a week on the new BT mail system, we got moved back to BT Yahoo with the loss of all emails receved during that time, I thought it best to ask if there was a solution.

Does anyone have any idea of what could cause the BT Yahoo mail system to think that an account is compromised and is there anything at all that we could do that might reduce the problem. It is very strange that it only seems to affect one of our accounts.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

@timedwards wrote:

Does anyone have any idea of what could cause the BT Yahoo mail system to think that an account is compromised and is there anything at all that we could do that might reduce the problem. It is very strange that it only seems to affect one of our accounts.

How many of your devices are accessing this particular account ?
Are any of them Apple or Android mobile phones ?     

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

There are two devices accessing this account - A Windows 7 computer and an android phone.

For your info two of my other accounts are also accessed by the same Windows 7 computer and an android phone (a different phone to the one above) and we have no problem with these.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

The next time you are asked to change your password only update the password on the Windows 7 PC.

Delay updating the password for the account on the Android phone for as long as you can afford and see if the problem occurs.

Alternatively you can either

a) disable the account on the Android phone or

b) remove the account completely.

Also are you using IMAP or POP on the Windows 7 PC ?

Are there any obvious differences between how the other accounts are set up or used on the Windows 7 PC or other Android phone ?

There have been reports that this issue also occurs with BT Mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@vofsanity2 wrote:

There have been reports that this issue also occurs with BT Mail.

I must have missed those, can you post a link to them?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out next time we have the problem.

I have checked the setup of the email accounts on our android phones, and they are all the same using IMAP.

We use POP on our Windows 7 computer. I also checked the setup of the email accounts on the computer and they were no differences between them.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I have been thinking. We only got the android phone that we use with that account in the middle of last year. I am almost certain that we had the problem before then when we just used the email account with our Windows 7 computer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

As I have previously pointed out on other threads, while I have no doubt the previous suggestion/theory which is about multiple devices logging on is intended to help, as far as I can tell nobody has posted back to say that it has stopped the problem.

There are posters who only ever access their email from a computer having reported the problem.

There are many people, myself included, using multiple devices with a mixture of IMAP, POP with fetch turned on and using webmail and have never had this problem.

It is I believe a problem that has resulted from when the Yahoo email accounts were hacked a while back because there were no reports of it prior to that time.

If however doing as suggested above does stop this problem please post back.

0 Ratings