cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 98

Continually locked out

Yet again today I am locked out of my Bt email account.

I use Outlook and on using the system first thing it reports to me that it cannot access my emails from BT.

I go to webmail to log in manually and I'm told that my account has been locked because there has been too many unsuccessful attempts to log in.

Now this is the fourth time in 8 days this has happened and I'm fed up ringing 0800800150 to sort this. I know I can sort it myself but then I have to use a new password each time. I did this first time (8 days ago) even though the password had been changed as a result of the Yahoo hack a few weeks back. Now when I change my password I have to update outlook and my two NAS drives which email me each day with information on their performance. So its a hassle.

However my first thought is that my passwords must be fine if they're not being cracked. So why must I keep changing them? In order not to change them I have to phone BT and if I'm honest its like pulling teeth to get through to some of these people who keep telling me that I need to change my password if instructed.

But today I am told that if refused access then if I leave my account for 15 to 20 mins I should be able to get back in again because the system resets itself after this time has elapsed after a failed log in. All I can say is that it doesn't or rather it doesn't for me. Please can someone clarify this?

Also if someone is trying to hack my account, then if my password is strong enough so they can't break it, why when BT detect unsuccessful attempts do I have to change what appears to me to be a 100% effective password?

Meanwhile can someone offer an explanation as this is driving me nuts.

On looking through the forum I can see that others are suffering and saying the same as me, why do we have to change what appears to be effective passwords?

Also surely someone at BT can tell what is actually triggering this lock out? Is it continual attempts at the same time each day, how many attempts, and why doesn't the timeout reset itself as the BT 'expert' today said it should?

John

0 Ratings
97 REPLIES 97
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 98

Re: Continually locked out

Tuesday 1/11/2016. Locked out again. Had to change password again. Has anyone anything to offer?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 98

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 98

Thank you for this I am very grateful.

As I have two NAS devices which can email me with system performance I turned these off to be safe but was yet again faced with the same problem this morning. Saying that these NAS devices have been doing this for about 6 years without any issues.

This morning I was told by a BT 'expert' that it was nothing to do with BT as they don't support Outlook which is my email client. With such advice what hope does the average person have of ever solving a problem?

In common with other people though who are experiencing this, if my email account is being UNSUCCESSFULLY accessed it surely shows how good my passwords have been, by all means inform me of these attempts, but don't lock me out when I use the correct (strong) password.

My thanks to you.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 5 of 98

Hi @JohnRH

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that you keep getting locked out of your email address.  I agree that four times in eight days is extreme and can appreciate how frustrating this is.  From reading your posts you definitely make some valid points.

Can you send us over your details so that we can have a closer look at things from here?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 98

01/11/16

And again.

Went out about 2pm, having turned off the PC.

Back in a at 2.50pm, locked out of email due to too many unsuccessful attempts.

Reset password again.

Note 2 x NAS drives no longer send email updates so they are not accessing the system.

JRH

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 98

Hi @JohnRH Sorry your locked out again. 

Send us your details by clicking on @RobbieMac user name and selecting contact the mods and we will be happy to help you with this. 

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 98

Good morning.

Yesterday 1st Nov, as my contract is being renewed I rang BT and put this on hold because I do not want to be stuck with a 24 month contract with this farce continuiing.

The UK call centre person was very sympathetic and being in mind all the others I have spoken to in the last 10 days it was a refreshing change. She said that she would get someone to call me.

as I said I went out at 2pm and returned at 2.50pm, turned on my PC and was locked out so reset again. Event 5.

Later in the day I got a call from BT, the upshot of what was that this person was simply going to explain to me how to reset my password............ However this person gave me a 'fault' no. starting VOL and told me to phone back when I got the problem again. Gawd how many times do I have to phone BT and explain the problem.

Anyway following this a thought crossed my mind. I simply closed down Outlook which I normally leave running while at home. About an hour later I restarted Outlook and again no access due to numerous failed access attempts. Event 6. So yesterday this happens three times in one day.

So it seems to me that while my Outlook continues to access Bt mail once every 5 mins, all is fine. However if I stop this  by closing down outlook, during the day or overnight, then I get locked out.

For the sake of clarification both my NAS drives and my Ipad have no access to mail for the moment. Which is not making life easy.

However to repeat surely even if my Bt mail account is being 'attacked' the fact that my passwords have been strong enough to resist this is surely fine, after all that's the point of the whole process?

John

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 98

Thanks JohnC, will do as you request but have done this already once before yesterday to RobbieMac.

John

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 98

JohnC, my incident number following my submitting details to RobbieMac yesterday was **edited by Mod**

As a result of filling it in again I now also have **edited by Mod**. 

Thanks people I do appreciate your interest but please understand I have lost count of the number of times I have telephoned 0800800150 in the last ten days with little help from 'technical experts'. All I seem to do is repeat myself again and again with no result.

I'm in the building services consultancy business (heating, AC, control systems etc) tell me if your heating had gone wrong ten days ago would you be happy to have made perhaps over ten phone calls and reports all saying exactly the same thing and still be with faulty heating tens days later? No you wouldn't.

Thanks.

John

0 Ratings