cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagicMovies
Message 1 of 11

Contract Automatic Renewal Issues

Hello,

We took a connection in January, 2009 (a 12 month contract). I am not able to find that plan anymore. Basically, we had Unlimited Broadband, Weekends Call Free.

That contract is supposed to have ended by December 31, 2009.

Is BT supposed to send us a reminder/information on the bills that the contract is to end and if you do not explicitly inform BT, we will automatically renew your contract and you will be part of another 12 month contract?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Contract Automatic Renewal Issues

Hi Tom and welcome to these thriving forums

BT don't send out reminders. Well at least they didn't for me. After your contract is up you are then on a rolling monthly contract. You are not tied into another 12 month contract.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
MagicMovies
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. OK, but my friend keeps telling me that we are on a 12-month contract only and since he is on Direct Debit, they will take the cash out of his account. 

The problem for me is this - 

1. I stayed with him only until August 31, 2009 and we both had initially agreed that if he were also to leave earlier than December 31, 2009, we will share the loss together. 

But it is only now that he is leaving UK and me sharing for May-December 8 additional months is absolutely ridiculous. Are you absolutely sure that it is only on rolling monthly contract?

Because another of my friend also said it is again a 12 month contract....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

I'm sure it rolls onto a month by month basis.

If the main account holder (the name on the bill) didn't renew the contract then once the 12 month contract has expired then it goes to a month by month contract. Maybe it is an 18 month contract?

Anyway. I took my BT Broadband account out in Feb 09 and have emailed confirmation that I am no longer tied into a contract (I requested this during another issue with BT). I also get the "would you like a new deal" call but to date have declined BT's generousSmiley Very Happy renewal offer.

Who ever the main account holder is ask them to send an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with their details, account number and a link to this thread. The moderators will be able to find out if the contract has expired or actually been renewed. If it has been renewed then the main account holder must of made contact with BT or BT made contact with them.

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

BT did have "auto-renewing" 12 month contracts for their Unlimited Evening and Weekends call package. They were supposed to send out notices 1 month before the year end to let you cancel and then it went on to rolling 1 month at a higher price.

Think these started in 2008, don't know if they still do them.

Broadband and line rental wasn't part of these contracts.

Good advice from DS re Mods should sort it out.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

a_rad. Spot on. BT did do the phone on an auto renewal on their Unlimited Anytime tariff. I'm not sure if they still do. I've never had any renewal notices in 18 odd years of being a BT phone customer.

I believe that if you haven't received the notice then you aren't tied into any agreement.

Based on that BT did try to auto renew my phone pack in Feb 2010 and I pointed out that no notice was sent. They confirmed this and have put a note on the system that I MUST NOT be held to contract.

Therefore Tom, If no notification was received then there is nothing to worry about. If anything was sent and your friend was the main account holder then I'm sure these 'fantasically brilliant and extremly helpfulSmiley Surprised' forum mods will soon have it sorted as he is moving overseas!!!

0 Ratings
MagicMovies
Message 7 of 11

Thanks a_rad. Spot on!. We were on the Unlimited Evenings and Weekend package only.

DS - Thanks again. So, I will ask my friend to send out an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with his account number, telephone number and a link to this thread and let us see what happens.

BTW, I quite did not understand what a_rad meant by when he said Broadband and line rental is not part of these contracts.

To give more information from my end, this is what happened.

1. We moved into a house which already had a BT line.

2. We took the package where you have BT Broadband and weekend/evening calls free

Thanks a lot guys!

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

From what I can remember you got the Evening and weekend call package free if you took out the "auto-renewing" flavour, normally a couple of quid a month. 

AFAIK this had seperate terms and conditions from any broadband element or line rental which wasn't "auto-renewing" so in theory only the call package would renew for a year.

Disagree slightly with DS, I would worry if you didn't get the renewal notice, would mean you were put in contarct again for a year without the opportunity to decline.

Of course you might not have the "auto-renewing" contract in any case.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
mikeypr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I am on the BT Anytime Unlimited Plan, and just called them to be them I was on a contract until Jan.

I had NO knowlage of this contract and was definatly NOT sent any warning.

I was put through to the SERVICE DEP. and was spoken to very discourtiously and spoken over many times. (I kept my cool)

The manager I eventully spoke to would not give an inch, apparently making sure the renewall notice gets to me is not BTs obligation, only that they post out the letter, and it was probabally the Post offices fault.

How can any company assume people want a contract to start afresh? After talking over 30 mins I finally said that we should not be wasting each others time, and I would call BT back to discuss the matter further.

I called back, and although I would still be tied to the contract for the remaining 7 months, I would get a discount.

That is all I wanted in the first place, to stop me switching to o2.

NOT now.  I was spitting feathers, Was shaking with anger and the way I feel I was spoken to.

I finally spoke to a lovely lady, who sorted me out. I'm still tied to the contract that I dispute though.

I now have the date pasted right in front of me, and stored as a reminder, as I will most definatly be moving away from BT come Jan. (Unless they offer me a really good deal) Not going to cut my nose off to spite my face.

In my oppinion BTs service has really gone down hill. I'm really unhappy with then, and how parts of the call centre works.

Please every one check your contract dates carefully, I NEVER recived notification of being tied into a new contract.

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
curlysue29
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I am currently trying to get out of my auto renewing landline contract ( I think it is actually for the free evening and weekend calls that they tag on for "free"). I did know that it was auto renewing, and rang up to ask how long to go as I knew it was around that time and had seen a good offer from sky, I was horrified to learn it had only just been renewed so had another 12 months to go. Like I said,  I knew it was around this time of year for it to be renewed, but I definitely never received a letter telling me a month before. I told this to the helpful (ish) lady on the phone, and firstly she offered me a reduction to £10.90 a month  to continue. As I told her It was not the line rental that was an issue (though that has just gone up??) it was to get a better broadband deal , to get the best deals you have to give them the line rental too. She again seemed quite helpful and said she would put me through to customer services to see if a letter had been sent, and if not, would let me cancel without penalty. I was even considering at this point taking her up on the offer to stick with BT, with the £3 saving on line rental the move to sky was not saving me all that much. But decided to keep my options open and let her put me through to "customer services", I knew it wasn't going to be so smooth from now on once I heard the  Asian accent and the line quality had dropped. Though the 1st lady said she would leave notes on my account to assist whoever took over, I was told that I had to ring back in a couple of hours as the system was down. Gobsmacked that the 1st person was not aware of this, I reluctantly hung up. But now I have been thinking and the blood is starting to boil and I have to say that it is downright disgusting that a company with the supposedly stature of BT, would result to such practises, something a back alley outfit would do in tying you into a ongoing contract, when there is actually no benefit to be gained by the customer for doing so (I have a unlimited use mobile so no need of the free calls, and most other providers provide this service anyway). They can come back with what they want, they may admit that a letter never got sent (again why should a company as BT need to resort to putting the onus on customers to cancel something rather than working to keep them) but I will never use BT again (I know technically even with sky BT are providing the line), and I intend to give them as little of my money as possible, ever again. I have another 1hr before I can call back, but how I feel at the min I feel like just cancelling my DD and let them sue me and prove I am in the wrong, but they have me over a barrel as I am sure they will just cut the line and leave me without broadband (even if I do move to sky)...

I will update this post (I created an account just to vent some steam) when I am thinking more clearly and hopefully have things resolved.

0 Ratings