cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pederjohnsen
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Contract length

Before I moved where I live now I was on BT infinity 2, however when I moved fiber was not yet available in this area so I had to downgrade, but then when fiber was finally available at my new address some 5-6 months later I was stuck onto yet another 18 month contract.

I'm now due to move again soon but getting tired of being stuck on these lengthy 18 month contracts whenever I have an upgrade etc and tired of the poor service/speeds I've been getting while being with BT.

However a ~£200 penalty bill does not sound very tempting (that's what you get for being a good and loyal customer these days huh?).

I feel BT should cut me some slack seeing I had to downgrade when I first moved here and include those months as part of my latest 18 month contract period.. I'm honestly surprised this country allows such lengthy contracts to even be legal imo..

I hope someone working at BT sees this and are willing to help sort something out.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Contract length

@pederjohnsen wrote:

I'm honestly surprised this country allows such lengthy contracts to even be legal imo.

Your contract with BT actually only lasts for 14 or 30 days, which is the minimum period of notice required depending on whether and how you move to a new provider. The 18 months is not a contract (though it's commonly referred to as such) but an agreement that, in return for a particular price, you will not terminate the service within that period and will pay a penalty if you do. No different in principle to early termination of investments or loans or fixed prices for gas or electricity. They all want their hands in your pocket as deeply as possible.

Anyway, upgrading to Infinity must count as a change of service delivery method under paras 33-34 of BT's Broadband Service Terms and therefore attracts a new minimum period. If it's already available at your next address that shouldn't happen as minimum periods are generally portable.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
pederjohnsen
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

So in other words, since bt infinity 2 is available where I'm about to move I should be able to move there without having to be put on another 18 month agreement?

Are there anyone that can help me find out if I'd be put on a new agreement if I move or if as pottyperson says I'll be able to stay on the same when moving as my current package IS available at my upcoming address?

I'm already not happy with BTs services, all though they do have some good things going for them.. But I'd be willing to stick up with it until my current agreement runs out if it won't be renewed yet again. I obviously understand that companies will always want to make sure they get plenty of money from each their customers, but that can be done while still taking good care of loyal customers..

Sadly most companies only think profits and miss the point that in the end, they will eventually run out of loyal customers if they don't treat and take care of their customers and there will no longer be any profit left.

0 Ratings
pederjohnsen
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

So I just read that as long as there is 3+ months left on the current agreement it will not be made longer as long as you can get the same service at the new address. However going through the "moving home" form BT are claiming there is no phone line to the address I'll be moving to so asking for a £130 fee (which I'm pretty sure is false, there's just not been a bt line IN USE there for a while, I know this for a fact as I know the owner and the people who have lived there the last 10 years). 

So looking at all these extra charges to get it all set up it will most likely be cheaper for me to just pay the early termination fee and change my internet provider right away when I move.

Is my only way to discuss terminating my service over the phone or can this be initiated online?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

you would need to phone to cancel

as to the no line if that has been for a long period of time then the line would have been reused therefore new connections would be needed
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

The best people to speak to in BT are the Options Team 0800 800 030, UK-based and usually very helpful. Ignore the "welcome to BT Business" at one point and say something like "moving home" at the appropriate time.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings