Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldgreygary
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Contract renewal

Hello,

My contract runs out in September 2015 which includes a discounted broadband payment. Do BT contact me for discussions about renewal? If they don't it would be nice to get some sort of prompt to know that it was up for renewal. Insurance companies tend to fo this in advance of renewals. Or is that somehting I have to instigate? I presume that when the contract runs out it will automatically revert back to the full rate without any discussion?

Thanks

Gary

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Contract renewal

You will have to do that yourself if you want to avoid paying the full amount.

Ring Customer Options on  0800 800 030 in advance of that date, and see what they can offer.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

An insurance contract is usually just for 12 months then ends. They have to send you all the details for any auto-renewal or new contract offer.

The BT contracts don't have a set end date as such. They have a contract minimum term and discounts usually only last for set periods. So BT have already told you all the revelevant info when you signed up and on your regular bills. They are not obliged to contact you near to the end of the minimum term as you don't have to re-contract unless you want to. It's in your interest to phone the Customer Options Team and see if you can get a better new deal if you re-contract services rather than just letting your current contracts run on. Re-contracting does start a new minimum term though.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

The general rule is BT will be happy to discuss the possible re-contracting of a service once you have less than 3 months remaining on your current contract minimum term for that service.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Note that if you cancel a contract before the minimum term has been completed then you can be hit with hefty additional early termination charges. So only re-contract if you are happy to stay with BT for that service for the new minimum term.
0 Ratings
oldgreygary
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your replies and clearing up my understanding of how the contract works. Because of a rental agreement that I have in the accomodation I live in I have to stick with BT. But, I will contact customer services as advised and see what they can offer. Thanks. Gary.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Are you aware that BT Openreach manage the infrastructure including the phone lines, but through BT Wholesale they sell/rent services to lots of different providers who then sell those services on to customers? BT Consumer (also known as BT Retail) is your current provider but there are lots of other providers that provide phone and broadband services over a 'BT line'. There are plenty of web sites that will list which providers offer BT line based services for your postcode.

Obviously I don't know the details of your rental agreement but having to use a BT line still usually offers a choice of phone/broadband provider.
0 Ratings
oldgreygary
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for more information that I wasn't aware of! The actual line in my accomodation contract is 'not to change the service providers'. I guess you could interpret that both ways. i.e. cannot change anything or if an alternative broadband supplier is used if BT still rent the line then service provider hasn't changed.

Gary

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

It can actually be a bit more complicated as some alternative 'BT line' based providers install some of their own equipment at the exchange and others just use the Openreach / BT Wholesale equipment. Either way they are still using the same telephone street cabinets and cables to connect to customer homes.

In contrast Virgin Media use a totally separate infrastructure for their cable TV / broadband / phone services in built up areas. In more rural areas they still offer BT line based broadband and phone services.

I suppose the question is why would your contract state that you can't change service provider even if it would still be using the same existing BT line? It doesn't seem to be in the spirit of competition and getting the best deal for the resident!

If you talk to Customer Options about re-contracting it's probably best not to mention it. Let them think you are considering changing provider and see what fantastic deal they can offer to tempt you to stay with them for another 12 months. 🙂
0 Ratings
oldgreygary
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Yup, thanks for your reply and information. I will initially speak to the BT customer team and see what they have to offer.

Gary

0 Ratings