Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Contract renewed without notification??I want out for a better deal

Here we go....sky have made an offer I cant refuse around 10quid for 6 months inc line rental and unlimited calls

Had a BT line installed in Jan 09 .had horrendous experience right until Jan 10 when i received a letter stating my contract would automatically renew in 10 days.(along with many sales calls with deals.)

after many many lengthy calls attempting to leave I was moved onto a different package for another 12 months (anytime) and haven't had that many issues since.

Sky and 02 have been mailing/calling me over the last few days with offers BT cant or wont match. I called BT to confirm a letter would be due out soon with the contract end date. but they replied we renewed you 10 days ago,and you can't leave until next Jan with out paying 12 months line rental plus a fee

I pointed I had not been informed as they had done in past. They replied that the renewal date should have been on the last bill in November.I checked and it didn't ( I have papperless billing so check online while i was on the phone) she replied I think that our policy is to do it with out informing you now. The more I dug the more agitated she became . When I asked simply "what is the policy to inform customer about renewals?" she stalled and side stepped with same answer

Sky are due to call me back to confirm If I can migrate.

whats the deal here?

upon googling this matter it a very common issue and only a few manage to leave without payig hufe fees

thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Contract renewed without notification??I want out for a better deal

Have a read of BT's Terms and Conditions on this page http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... to find the plan you signed up to.

Unless I'm much mistaken, all the automatically renewing plans say that BT will write to you before renewing the contract.  It looks like BT have broken their own T&Cs.

0 Ratings
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

yes thats what I thought however, google provided me with a similar situation and apparently they are likely to say they did send one and its not their responsibility but it lies with Royal mail....happy days...not

0 Ratings
ernie_c
Expert
Message 4 of 11

@glent wrote:

yes thats what I thought however, google provided me with a similar situation and apparently they are likely to say they did send one and its not their responsibility but it lies with Royal mail....happy days...not

Given that you have had a similar issue with two organisations, perhaps the problem does not lie with either BT or Google.

0 Ratings
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Let me rephrase what I said as you have misunderstood me.. I goggled (used google to search!)"BT automatically renewing" and found various threads and websites with same situation as me. No of which has a clear reply 

0 Ratings
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

just called and after no improvement despite asking for proof I i  passed over to India and disconnected promptly

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Remember the date set your alarm and get out before renewal next time Smiley Very Happy

you just can not rely on BT for notification

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Well well well..
Called back and was told her system showed a letter was sent back and dec. I requested a copy via email and was told the systems had crashed.she restated my last bill would have also. Shown the renewal date, I. Told her I was looking at. Them and they did not...I was Xfered to another agent who said look we don't have any records of letters,emails or calls. You can leave today and no cost. He admitted the other agents should not have said what they did. I requested what he said in writing or email but he refused. He garunteed me I was not in contract and could go. After failing to match my new providers offer he once again told me there's no charges coming my way.

Why do I get the feeling this won't be the last time I call bt
0 Ratings
glent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

how did i know it was to too good to be true!

letter arrived this morning with an estimated 66 pound termintation charge

My partner is 8 months pregnant I have been made redundant This is a beyond belief

Note to self. Dont try and save yourself and money as the stress outweighs the benefits

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 11

Hi Glent,

I can look over the final bill and see what the story is with this.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send to the email address in my profile and mark FAO Craig please.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings