cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marc2629
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Convince me to stay with BT

I'm a happy BT Infinity broadband customer. 

I have a TV subscription to the basic youview service. All in this service costs in the region of £50pcm. 

I am growing extremely tired of the youview box that is supplied with the TV package. The ondeman players will frequently crash, when I navigate the EPG there seems to be a 2-3 second lag between my input and the box responding. 

Are there any plans to improve the performance of the box?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Convince me to stay with BT

There are regular updates every 3 months or so, which fix bugs and add new features.

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

@marc2629 wrote:

I'm a happy BT Infinity broadband customer. 

I have a TV subscription to the basic youview service. All in this service costs in the region of £50pcm. 

I am growing extremely tired of the youview box that is supplied with the TV package. The ondeman players will frequently crash, when I navigate the EPG there seems to be a 2-3 second lag between my input and the box responding. 

Are there any plans to improve the performance of the box?

We're all just customers here like yourself, it's not anyone's job to convince you to stay. If you're unhappy you should leave. 

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Try the newer G4 box it is much better at navigating menus

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Are you still in contract for the TV essentials package?

If not I'd suggest cancelling it - you still keep the box & it's Youview facilities (catchup/pause/rewind/record etc) - then about in about 2 months time sign up to the TV essentials package again for £5pm & £35 activation & get the new G4 box which is a great improvement. When doing this - over the phone - keep stressing the you'll get the new box though.

marc2629
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I've cancelled and switched to Sky, with promotions it works out about the same price per month. I considered paying for box upgrade, but given the performance of my current hardware I have little faith in youview now and didn't want to chance signing up to another contract. I may come back to BT one day if they ever decide to drop Youview. 

Will be a shame to loose the infinity 2 but I won't miss the frequent box crashes!

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

You say same price but then you say you will miss infinity so surely if you haven't got fibre with sky it is not the same price as you don't have the same product... 

After being with sky for ten years my g4 box crashes less than my old sky hd box so each to there own I suppose...

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@scointer wrote:

You say same price but then you say you will miss infinity so surely if you haven't got fibre with sky it is not the same price as you don't have the same product... 

After being with sky for ten years my g4 box crashes less than my old sky hd box so each to there own I suppose...

Indeed, I had a Sky+ box for a year - crashed frequently and the signal dropped when the rain was especially heavy. 

0 Ratings
marc2629
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

@MartinSW wrote:

@scointer wrote:

Indeed, I had a Sky+ box for a year - crashed frequently and the signal dropped when the rain was especially heavy. 

Agreed, it never performs well in heavy rain. I was a Sky customer previously for approx 3 years and had always found the box generally good, but this was a few years ago. It was the fibre that brought me back to BT. 

Re: the fibre... I have had to take a drop in speed to a slower fibre service, a claimed 40MBs. The fibre is my one reservation as it was so good from BT. If I get 30 from Sky I will be happy. 

0 Ratings