cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calumm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Cooling off period

I've justed signed up online for BT phone and Infinity internet. I want to check what the cooling off period is, if I find that the service isn't particularly good.

According to http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html (accessed from http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/), Cooling Off Period means:

• for each Service, the period from the date this Agreement is made until 14 days after the later of: (a) delivery of the Equipment (if any); (b) the Service Start Date; and (c) the day on which you receive your Order Confirmation.

Because it mentions "the later of", I understand that I can cancel within 14 days of my BT service starting - i.e. the installation date.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks - Calum

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cooling off period

I can see no mention of the 14 days cooling off period on that page.

• You may change your mind
    1. You may change your mind and cancel a Service within your Cooling Off Period for that Service.
    2. If we've already started providing the Service by the time you cancel it, you'll have to pay us the full cost of the Services you've received (which means we won't take into account any discounts or free offers) including:
      • (a) any Charges payable for your use of Service;
      • (b) any use you've made of the Service which isn't covered by the Charges; and
      • (c) any connection or activation fees.
    3. If you cancel a Service within your Cooling Off Period and we've provided you with Equipment for that Service, the Agreement won't end until you've returned the Equipment to us and:
      • (a) you'll return that Equipment to us within 14 days after you cancel the Service. We'll give you some pre-paid packaging for this;
      • (b) if you don't return the Equipment within 14 days, you'll have to pay the full price for the Equipment (which may be more than the price you've paid, for example, if you were given a discount in return for taking the Service for its Minimum Term); and
      • (c) once we receive the Equipment (or evidence from you that the Equipment has been returned), we'll refund you any amounts you've already paid for the Equipment. We might reduce the amount of the refund if we think the Equipment's worth less than its original value due to use or damage.

BT would have given you a minimum guaranteed speed when you ordered. If this cannot be achieved, and it the fault of BT, then BT will normally allow you to cancel without having to pay the full cancellation charges.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

I do see a 14 day cooling off period.  it's right at the bottom, under Definitions:

"Cooling Off Period – means, for each Service, the period from the date this Agreement is made until 14 days after the later of: (a) delivery of the Equipment (if any); (b) the Service Start Date; and (c) the day on which you receive your Order Confirmation."

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Ectophile

Thanks, I see it now. I wonder how many people look at the bottom of that page?

I think the reality is that you may need a very good reason to cancel once service has been activated. eg If the minimum speed agreed on the order was not achieved as the result of a BT problem.

0 Ratings
calumm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I'm not sure why you say "you may need a very good reason to cancel". The T&Cs say: "You may change your mind and cancel a Service within your Cooling Off Period for that Service." It simply mentions changing your mind - you don't need a reason - I would have thought that that is the point of a cooling off period.

This seems to be consistent with what I see with a quick Google for "cooling off period" - e.g. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/: "you get a 14-day cooling-off period during which you can cancel for any reason".

Of course, it does seem that you'd have to pay the activation charge and a pro-rata rate for what you've used in this case - fair enough.

I'm not planning on cancelling - just checking what would happen if the situation arose for whatever reason.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

It seems to me that you've answered your own question, even though you don't necessarily need an answer - it's the latest of the three events listed.

[Note to BT's grammar department: "later" is the comparative form, applicable only to two items.]

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
calumm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

@pottyperson: yes, it does seem that I'm answering my own question.

The reason I asked is that Googling for "BT broadband cooling off period" was suggesting that the 14 days started when the order was placed, which was not what I was understanding from reading the T&Cs. So I wanted to check that I wasn't misunderstanding something - and to clarify this for others.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

It always used to be 14 days from placing the order.  The new Consumer Rights Act came in at the end of last year, so it may be that BT are just catching up with the new legislation.

0 Ratings
juslaw
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I have exctly this problem. I am hugely disappointed by the upload speed (448kbp), with EE, Orange and Virgin useing same line I was able to get up to 0.8Mbps. My line was activated last week (17th November), I ordered it 31 of October. They told me the cooling off period ended 14th of November.

I referred to exactly same terms and conditions I found on their webpage (link is attached to all emals from BT), where is stays 14 days later of: a)b)c). But all the people I tolked to (8 now, phone and chat) insist the cooling of period starts next day you order the broadband.

What can I do?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@juslaw

You have been offered help to upgrade your connection to ADSL2+, on this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Upload-speed-limited-to-448-kbps-I-need-my-E...

Please take up the offer, as it should resolve your upload issue.

0 Ratings