cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Copper broadband suddenly slow

Go to solution

A few days ago my previously fast braodband download (15Mbt down 1.4Mbt upload) went vry slow. Speed test shows 0.2Mbt down and 0.4Mbts upload)  There was no change to any wiring or connections other than my BTHub 5 was switched off whilst we were away.  Having spent 2 hours chatting with BT helpdesk yesterday no solution in prospect other than an engineer visit booked.  I have had years of good to fast broadband with BT.

Having read this forum, switchin off the hub was perhaps the wrong thing to do. The hlp desk had me switching it off/restarting several times.  I suspect my line has been restricted due to the hub being switched off and on.

Any help would be appreciated

Below is the info from my BTHub 5.

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076284+1512008432

3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 10/12/2015

4. Board version: 01

5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 20:36:04

6. Bandwidth: 446 / 288

7. Data sent/received: 35.8 MB / 267.6 MB

8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

9. BT Wi-fi: Yes

10. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-RMQG

11. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

12. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)

13. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

14. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-RMQG

15. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))

16. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)

17. 5GHz wireless channel: 44

18. Firewall: Default

19. MAC Address: 5c:dc:96:00:27:3d

20. VPI/VCI: 0/38

21. Modulation: G.992.5(ADSL2+)

22. Latency type: Interleaved

23. Software variant: -

24. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Copper broadband suddenly slow

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

it certainly looks like att the resets have ended with you in  banded profile which will release provided you have a stable connection for 3/5 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the very speedy response.

I only have very old BT sockets with no test socket. There is a line filter in place. There is only one socket in use and has been like this for several months. The socket is not I suspect the master but was installed by BT along withl the other 2 more than 10 years ago.

I have tried connecting to the 'master' socket but no change on a speed test.

I have tried the quiet line test and it is silent!

At the moment I think waiting the 3 to 5 days with an unchanged setup is the best way forward.

Thanks again for the speedy response.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

if no improvement in say 5 days conenction time then post back and we can take it from there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks again for prompt reply.  Will wait and see but I hope my engineer visit does not break my connection duration.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@johne8234 It's likely that you're in a banded profile due to the disconnections but there could also be an underlying issue with the line. The engineer will disconnect your Hub to carry out their diagnostic checks but that won't matter as they can reset the profile if required.  Post back to let us know how the visit goes.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks again for the info, reassuring that the engineer visit will not set me back in time with a hub disconnect. I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised by the forum responses and speed. I only wish I had discovered the forum sooner.

My BT wiring is old sockets with a bell wire but quiet test shows no noise.  Hopefully the engineer will sort this (but at what cost?). I will let you know.  Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well the engineer came and all is now well.  Line checks proved nothing wrong so it must have been down to the disconnects that kicked me into a banded/restricted profile. 

If the remote line checlks find no fault and the restricted bandwidth is a one off I dont see why it needs an engineer visit to resolve.  Just a kick back onto the standard profile just once remotely seems like the easiest and best for customer service. 

If the line subsequently gives a noisy problem and switches to a restricted band then perhaps an engineer callout may then be  necessary.

Anyway, all is now well at the moment, some fluctuation in speeds but the engineer said to expect this for a 10 day settle down period.

Once again thanks for the reassuring help.

0 Ratings