cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnoo
Expert
Message 1 of 10

Copying all E Mails

"As a precaution, I would copy all of your e-mail from your account as soom as possible, and keep a local copy, just in case your account gets deleted by mistake".

I noticed this quote in another Post.

How do I copy all of my mail to keep a local copy?

Note :- I use BT Yahoo mail

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Copying all E Mails

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Bit of trouble with this!

Have downloaded Thunderbird, 7 imported Address book from Yahoo mail as a CSV file.

But

1 I only get the last names, rather than the First & last names as in Yahoo mail. Think that the fields are some how mixed up.Ideas on how to correct please

2 Have tried downloding as a VCF but can't get it to download.

3 Can't see on compiling message on Thunderbird how you can enter names from the Contact list, seems you have to type initial letters of name, am I correct on this?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Well Thunderbird is up to version 12.01, so I do not know where you got version 7, its a very old outdated one.

There is some help with contacts here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=392908

Can you see all your Yahoo folders listed on the left habd side of Thunderbird?

If you have a lot of mail in those folders, it will take a while for them to be duplicated on your computer.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Sorry the 7 was a typo, I should have said & but did not press caps key!

Be assured I have downloded the correct version!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Fine, no problem Smiley Wink

There is a lot of help for Thunderbird, showing how you can ensure that copies are kept on your computer, and how you can archive mails into a local folder stored on your computer, or external device.

Thunderbird will synchronise with your webmail account, and any changes you make, will be replicated on webmail, and vice versa.

Clicking on e-mail links will also work, and allow you to send e-mails from links in web pages.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Tried using the "Archive" in Thunderbird, but find that this just takes mail out of Folders that have been set up and places them in a separate Archive folder within Thunderbird.

Is there any way of Archiving the mail from  Thunderbird out of this Program ie on my "C" Drive?

Also is there any way of entering a name of a person to which I wish to send a mail without having to partially enter the name?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

You can specify the location of your local folders and simply select the e-mails you want to save, then right click on them and select "copy to".

Select the destination as one of your local folders. You can then archive them and they will appear as an archive withing you local folders location.

See https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/configuration-options-folders?s=local+folders&as=s

Your local folder location can be on any drive you wish, even a removable one if you want to store them away somewhere.

You can send a message to a named person by going into the address book, selecting the name, then right clicking and select the "write" option on the menu.

I usually just enter part of the name in the "to" box. But I suppose if you have a lot of contacts it could be a bit awkward.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Many thanks for all of the information.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10