cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ringolevio
Message 1 of 6

Corroded Line

I logged a call with BT on 24th January regarding problems with our phone line and broadband connection. Telephone line is crackling badly, making calls impossible and broadand connection very intermittant, sometimes out for days at a time ( this is the first time I've been able to get online since Tuesday)  An engineer arrived after a few days and diagnosed a corroded outside line but was unable to solve the issue as the wooden telephone pole itself was rotten.

This was three weeks ago and I have heard nothing further. We spent a very frusrtrating hour yesterday and another hour today on the phone to BT being passed from pillar to post with no one able to give us any  information. At one stage we were told to call Open Reach who informed us that BTshould not have given us their number and would help us no further.

The original reference number for the problem does not appear on fault tracking for my account. It feels very much like we are being given the runaround. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to proceed ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Apologies in advance if I don't reply in a timely manner as internet connection is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Corroded Line

There is nothing that forum members can do, as its in the hands of Openreach.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days.

0 Ratings
ringolevio
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply - I'll give the link a try.

Cheers

0 Ratings
NGAMOD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

What i dont understand is when you say the engineer could not do anything as "the pole was rotten" yes sure, the engineer can not climb the pole as it is unsafe if rotten. But usually what happens is a bucket is called in so the pole can be worked on. Can you clarify exactly what was said?

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

If the pole is 'rotten' beyond repair then they will not get a hoist in to change drop wires because untensioning/retensioning the drop wires could unstabilise the pole and cause it to collapse.

If the repair is taking this long then I bet its because it is going to be replaced, which takes time because of all the back office politics, contractors getting involved and also the thing with pole replacements is dates are always getting pushed back because other work takes priority sometimes.

0 Ratings
ringolevio
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify - the engineer said the pole was rotten and was unsafe for him to climb and would need replaced, he was going to pass this information to Openreach.

I've contacted the BT care team via the link but no reply yet. I've also found out a bit more information from a neighbour who had some trouble having a BT line installed around two years ago. Basically the same story - engineer came out said telephone pole was unsafe to climb and needed replaced. However, rather than the pole at the rear of our homes ( which seems to serve around 7 homes, ) being replaced,  a new pole was set up across from the front of the houses and their line comes from this.

Thanks again for the comments - phone line and broadband have been ok for most of the last two days - lost all connection for a few hours on Saturday and broadband ran to very slow after that until around midday Sunday.

The main frustrations of this have been the uncertainty of internet connection and the lack of information from  BT - who when called, say the matter is closed or want to open a new enquiry and test the line, send out and engineer etc when they really should know what the situation is and  be able to tell you why you are not being provided with the service that is being paid for. On Tuesday it wll be four weeks since the engineer was at out property and we have not heard a word since. I would expect at least a courtesy call to let us know when we could expect our phone and internet connections to return to normal.

Cheers

S  

0 Ratings