cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
arkspur
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Could BT Infinity installation have stopped my answerphone working?

Go to solution

I can't make a definite connection between two events that happened around the same time but maybe somebody can.

I have a Siemens Gigaset C475 cordless phone with answerphone in the base station which worked fine for a long time when the base station was connected to an extension socket in my kitchen from which I also took my "slow" BT Broadband connection for my homehub.

Around the time that I had BT Infinity installed (master socket replaced in front of house and wired directly through to new box in kitchen from which DSL is connected to new "OpenReach" box and on to new home hub, phone still connected through original extension socket) the answerphone stopped working. Although definitely activated and definitely with recording space available it stopped cuttin in, so incoming calls just ring and riung if not manually answered. I tried everything I could think of to fix the phone base station and failed and so bought a new one (same model) whiuch I have connected tonight and found....the same problem.

Is it possible that some connection has been broken in the upgrade that has caused the answerphone not to work? I would appreciarte any ideas on this. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Could BT Infinity installation have stopped my answerphone working?

Go to solution
Is the phone able to make and recieve calls if not used as an answerphone
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

For what it's worth I have a Siemens Gigaset with answerphone and I've just had Infinity installed and all appears to be working OK. Only difference seems to be that my phone is connected to the new master socket and not an extension.

However, it's difficult to see why the answer phone is not working if you can make and receive calls. Surely the answerphone is dependent on the software/firmware in the Gigaset base?

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
arkspur
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

The phones are working perfectly to make and receive calls, irrespective of whether or not the answering facility on the base station is set to ON.

Thank you for taking an interest and trying to help. 

0 Ratings
arkspur
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Hi,
That is what I thought as well, and why I concluded that my original base station had developed a fatal fault. However, I think this theory is disproved by the fact that the barnd new base staion that I have bought is behaving in exactly the same way.
Thank you for taking an interest and trying to help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
Just a Quick thought the problem you have cannot be related to infinity as the answerphone function of any phone is not part of the phone network it is purely part of the base unit could you try a completely different make of phone as i think there is a possible fault with the Siemens gigaset units
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

See my earlier post - my Gigaset works just fine so the fault is not with Gigaset units generally - just the OP's!

wedding

Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Titanic
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Have you removed the filter, and is the bell wire disconnected. Not sure with this set but some need the bell wire to receive the ringing current that trips the answer facility. Either reconnect the bell wire or refit a filter may cure your problem. 

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I have the bellwire disconnected on my Gigaset and as I have stated above all works just fine - but who knows, might be worth a try for the OP.

wedding

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
wedding it could be a faulty batch of phones that is why i suggested trying a totally different make to eliminate the possible problem
0 Ratings