cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venom
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Could I get anymore out of my connection?

Dear All,

I am after some help.

I was wondering if i could anymore out of my connection.  I'ts stable but I wonder if I have been banded?

Also at peak times I could see that on my thinkbroadband monitor the pings were high between 8 and 10pm.  I no longer use this, as I have gone back to the Homehub 5b.

I have included some screen grabs below.

Thanks in advance.

wholesale checker.PNG

bt 18_56_20-1-17.PNG

bt 18_58_20-1-17.PNG

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Could I get anymore out of my connection? Possible banding?

have you tried connecting to the test socket if not then please try and post back the results
0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Could I get anymore out of my connection?

Hi John
Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to say that I am in directly connected to the top of the mk3 socket. Without any phone or extensions connected. I have tried a wired phone directly into the test socket yesterday (removed the front plate) and didn't hear any noise.

I am slightly reluctant to try the hub5 straight into the test socket until later this week for the fear of dlm kicking in.
I have performed a line test using the Bt online tool and it came back without problems.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Banded at 44meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm stuck at that speed then.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Venom wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm stuck at that speed then.

No, its capable of 52Mbs.

Your speed has been restricted due to poor connection performance. Normally caused by too many disconnections or restarts of the home hub, or line noise.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you leave everything alone for a few weeks, the connection may improve.

See this post, which also applies to BT Infinity.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I have been with BT maybe 9 months.  Initially the Homehub 5 reset maybe once every 48 hours in the night, as I think it had a firmware bug.  I didnt notice for a while, as the connection is only used by 1 device. (Although it was a guess)

So I'm plugged in a old ECI Bt modem and my own Netgear and it had been stable ever since, been like that for around 8 months.

I have now gone back to the Homehub 5b and with the new firmware it's stable.  So I guess it's a waiting game.

I wouldn't rule out intermittent line fault as  it's an old property with overhead cables, with overhead power cables close by.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Did you check for noise on the phone?

0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

HI Keith

Yes I did check, but couldn't hear any.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

All you can do is to leave it all alone, and hope that DLM will increase the connection speed nearer to the max rate.

The post that I mentioned, gives you an idea how it works.

0 Ratings