cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grizzlybear
Message 1 of 6

Could I have damaged my phone lines by plugging my broadband router into the test socket?

My WIFI router is in a room upstairs and had previously been connected to the master socket, but yesterday I plugged it into the test socket as a solution to slow internet speeds. The internet speed have picked up but unfortunately I have got no connection on my socket downstairs, which has worked fine with a phone plugged in for several years until today (the first time I have tested it since plugging the broadband into the test socket).

Could my actions have caused this, and are there any solutions suggested? It is not a fault with the phone either as I tried another and it did not work.

Any help appreciated,

thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Could I have damaged my phone lines by plugging my broadband router into the test socket?

Hi grizzlybear and welcome

When you use the test point, it isolates all other internal wiring.

If you've replaced the removable cover from the master socket and it still doesn't work, then it sounds like a wire has become detached from the rear of the removable section

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
grizzlybear
Message 3 of 6

Re: Could I have damaged my phone lines by plugging my broadband router into the test socket?

Thanks, no damage done as when I used the master socket (pushing it all the way back this time) the phone line downstairs worked again. Thanks a lot. 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Glad to hear that 🙂

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

This link may help improve your speed http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Or you might like to try this as a temporary fix.

Temporary fix for test socket connection, to keep phones working

A filtered ADSL faceplate would be the best option.

0 Ratings