cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheOldWiseMan
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Could my speed be better?

I live about 1km from my exchange (MYHSM) and it is 21CN WBC enabled. About 5 months ago it was just ADSL MAX and I would get about 6.5Mb/s. It is now showing G.992.5 Annex A and I'm getting a shade over 10Mb/s. I just feel that I should be getting a little bit more. Based on my stats below does my speed seem reasonble or is there headroom to squeeze more out?

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 8 days, 08:12:57
Downstream:  10.15 Mbps
Upstream:  1.117 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.8 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 30.1 dB / 16.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 13331 / 947
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 56142 / 655
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11929 / 593

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Could my speed be better?

with your attenuation and a good line I would hope for about 15mb

are you connected to the test socket via a filter?  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TheOldWiseMan
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

It is the socket in the hall that I have put a BT Broadband Accelerator on and from that through a filter and a 5m reasonable quality cable to my HomeHub3. I'll whip the cover off when I get home and if it has a test socket I could try the filter directly in to the test socket tonight. I take it I wouldn't see an immediate speed increase, would it increase over time if it was going to increase?

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

connecting to test socket may give an immediate increase but possibly hampered by the telephone extension cable which are normally not good news for broadband.  would be better with either a longer shielded modem cable from filter to hub or a longer ethernet cable from hub to pc

shielded modem cable like this  belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

you should get some increase immediately you connect to the test socket do you have any extensions if not then the accelerator is not needed
0 Ratings