cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shoeboot
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Crackly landline and slower broadband than 5 years ago!

I recently upgraded to the 'fastest' infinity hoping it might fix years of limping along on the slower BT infinity and pre-infinity broadband. Unfortunately it is now super slow and drops out if 2 appliances are using wifi at the same time. I've been through all the online fault tests and over the phone checks with BT advisors multiple times and they conclude that since we have had a crackly landline (which is so unpredictable we can't use it) for 10 years that there must be a fault which an engineer needs to look at. Great yes? Noooo, because then I get the notorious spiel about the £130 call out charge which will be automatically applied if the fault is anywhere other than their network...I did a bit of googling and found many articles indicating this charge is often applied when the fault is not due to your set up at home , and being totally cash strapped (signing up to the most expensive infinity doesn't help) I cancel the engineer in a panic. I couldn't afford the £130 charge so just can't risk calling them out, even though other similar cases on this forum indicate the problem is often caused by water and corrosion in the wires and exchange. I have contacted BT to ask for an engineer to just go look at the exchange and external wires (as I'm 99% sure that's where the problem lies) but they refused and said my only option is the home visit complete with the potential £130 fee. Can anyone advise? We have suffered 10 years with an unusable landline and now are paying premium price for broadband as slow as dial up! I genuinely can't afford the risk of the £130 - I'm not being tight, just skint with 3 young kids to feed! Is it unreasonable to expect BT to fix a service they are providing at no extra cost when you are already paying hefty line rental and package fees each month?
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Crackly landline and slower broadband than 5 years ago!

Report a line fault with no mention of broadband on 151.

0 Ratings
Shoeboot
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I reported the line fault last night and they said they would send an engineer out but I may still have to pay the £130... I cannot risk this charge. There are so many articles online of people having the charge automatically applied when the line fault was due to damp etc outside their property.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If you have checked at the test socket, and the problem is still there, then the fault is external.

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the noise stops..

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings