Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 14

Current contract ends tomorrow

Hi Guys,

I have been looking around at possible options.  I am somewhat puzzled at this statement on the Talk Talk website :-

"Why do you charge line rental?

Line rental is the charge you pay for an active phone line into your home. The reason we're able to offer such a great value broadband service is that we own our own telephone lines. If we were to use BT's lines, say, we'd incur additional costs. Which would affect our prices. So a TalkTalk broadband and phone package includes line rental as well.
And that means one simple, calls-and-rental bill. It makes things so much easier: there's only one point of contact. So in the unlikely event of a problem, you'll always know who to call."

So which telephone lines will they be using ?

I would be interested in any comments you may have please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Current contract ends tomorrow

Better to ask talk talk that!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

It Openreach that provide the lines, not TalkTalk. TalkTalk simply unbundle them and get a discounted wholesale rate, however its Openreach that would fix the line if it went wrong.

So technically they could say that they "own" them.

BT retail also get their lines from Openreach, and bundle them in their offers, and give you one bill.

Its just all sales talk, as most people associate BT with telephone lines, so TalkTalk rely on that.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Hi Keith,

Thanks for putting that view on it.  I felt it was so misleading that the ASA would have disallowed it.

As we know, whoever one's ISP may be, the service still comes down the same wires provided by Openrech; fibre, wireless & cable excluded of course.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Its all smoke and mirrors, as they say. They pay the standard wholesale price, depending on the number of lines they unbundle, just like any other LLU user.

If you have a fault which proves to your equipment, you will still have to pay the charge.

Some LLU providers, who will remain nameless, also add a "surcharge" onto that as well.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

I did see your last post as its in my RSS feed, but as you have discovered, its not something you should have posted Smiley Wink

But you see my point.

You may as well stay with BT, you get good support here Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Hi Keith,

I'm sorry if there was something in it that I should not have posted but I do not know what it was.

I definitely consider being able to use this forum as a benefit.  I think you and the other CL's are great and the mods when needed are far better than dealing with the help and support desk.  However in this day and age eveything has a price.

That other ISP's (better not mention the name then) prices looked very attractive, as advertised, at about a third of what I am currently paying BT.  With money being as tight as it is I had to give it every consideration.  As it turned out, the reality was a total smoke screen as their price mysteriously increased 5 fold.

It will be interesting to see if the next on the list also has hidden charges that are not apparent in their headline prices.  This one is half BT's (better not quote prices as that may have been what I did wrong).

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

once you get a cost from another ISP then try the options team and see if you can get a better deal from BT

options team 0800 800 030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

@dfenceman wrote:

I'm sorry if there was something in it that I should not have posted but I do not know what it was. 

I guess the problem was that you posted a transcript, which is frowned on. A brief factual summary probably would have been OK.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@dfenceman wrote:

Hi Keith,

I would expect by now, you would have received a PM from one of the moderators explaining why Smiley Wink

At PP says, transcripts are not allowed.

0 Ratings