Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbdmbd
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Current residential BT Broadband router - can I open port 1723

Hi all,

there is a lot of  chatter on various forums about the impossibility of sucessfully setting up port forwarding of socket 1723 (mainly to windows PCs) when using the Home Hub 5.

It looks like this was easily possible on HH3 and probably HH4 - but the concensus in 2014 posts I've seen was that HH5 has either had a bug or an intentional prohibition that prevents PPTP on 1723 being forwarded.

Can anyone tell me catagorically if it will be possible or not with the standard 17mbps / 31mbps residential package being offered by BT (as of April 2016)?

I'm planning to buy this service in the next few weeks - but I won't be if BT is controlling port 1723 like I'm hearing. Currently I am using SKY's ADSL, which is horribly slow but has allowed me to open all the ports I want to.

All input on this subject will be much appreciated - Thanks for taking the time to read this.

MBD.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Current residential BT Broadband router - can I open port 1723

Just use your own router. The homehubs are generally OK for consumers who just want internet access and wouldn't know what port forwarding is.

These are boxes that are managed by the provider and locked down to ensure a reliable service but if you want to take back control then you'll have to buy your own.

Don't forget that you'll need a VDSL capable all-in-one device or a separate VDSL modem if you don't have an Openreach provided one.

I can confirm that there is no issue using PPTP generally though.

0 Ratings
mbdmbd
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.

I have been port forwarding for about 15 years with various other ISPs and their routers with varying sucess and don't want to get on the treadmill of configuring my own Cable modem / router to work with BTs connection.

I've always found it easier in the past to use the supplied hardware and simply tweak the port forwarding settings. This is eas and sucessful for port 1723 with HH3 and HH$ (according to what I've read) - I'm looking for a catagoric YES or NO as to whether I will be able to achieve 1723 port forwarding within my network using a BT HH5 and their residential 17/31meg offering?

I've seen discussions from 2014/2015 that this is NOT possible due to a bug/prohibition in the HH5 firmware - but I was hoping that someone on this forum could give me an up to date status?

Thanks again to everyone reading/responding to this question.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@mbdmbd wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I have been port forwarding for about 15 years with various other ISPs and their routers with varying sucess and don't want to get on the treadmill of configuring my own Cable modem / router to work with BTs connection.

Not sure what you mean by 'treadmill'. Virtually all third party routers configure themselves with the only input required being username (homehub@btbroadband.com)  and password (bt).

0 Ratings