Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valks1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Cut neighbours phone line

Hi

I have just had new fascia boards fitted.

On the boards was an old cable which looked about 40 years old.

After speaking to my neighbour who has lived here for about this time he said it was an old ntl line, which he  also had on his fascia and my other neighbours. He said it was now disused and could be cut down.

So I cut I all down on my property and one of my neighbours.

Our other neighbour then came out saying her phone line was not working and the cable was the phone line.

She said she was going to to call BT to repair it at £114 per hour to repair.

She is an elderly lady who also has a police line connected for safety.

I cannot afford to pay for this repair to be carried out.

She called them out today and they said we had a very old shared line, each house these days is normally single served by BT. This means they have now got to dig the pathway up and install a single line to her property. They are not sure if she will be charged. 

Surely if there is an old setup in place and this now needs updating to the current methods of installation this should be done by BT? 

Can anyone advise? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cut neighbours phone line

The network is owned and maintained by Openreach not BT as you cut the line down there is every possibility you will be charged for any replacement of lines by Openreach as they do offer a network moving service effectively you have damaged the network
0 Ratings
valks1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Yes but this was a genuine mistake, we thought it was an old ntl line. If we knew it was a bt line then we would have left it alone. I cannot afford to pay thousands of pounds for the path to be dug up a d neither can my elderly neighbour. Why has the network been updated to single serve properties?
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

I'm no fan of Openreach but to be fair they've been given responsibility for maintaining a vast network developed piecemeal over many decades and mostly not designed for the modern age. The update you suggest is logistically and financially out of the question, and there won't be much change in their policy of "if it ain't broke leave it alone".

All mistakes are genuine otherwise they wouldn't be mistakes. Frankly, most people would regard the removal of cables on the say so of someone who clearly didn't know what they were talking about was genuinely rash.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@valks1 wrote:
Yes but this was a genuine mistake, we thought it was an old ntl line. If we knew it was a bt line then we would have left it alone. I cannot afford to pay thousands of pounds for the path to be dug up a d neither can my elderly neighbour.

You may be able to make a claim on your household insurance, if it was an accident.

Its not unusual for a number of properties to be served by a multi-pair cable terminated on a distribution block.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Excavation, ducting, cabling and possibly a new foot way box.....

That's gonna be expensive............
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Why can't they restore service in the same way it previously existed ?, I doubt they can legally charge you to 'upgrade' their network, having said that they can charge for damage regardless if it were accidently caused or not, but only to put the service back as it was
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

If it was attached to the fascia, then it usually means it comes from a pole, so it should be a case of renewing the dropwire, and fixing it to a new position.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Keith, it may be a 'Continuous' DP....

Back in the mid to late 1970's some bright spark had this idea of a new type of DP for rows of terrace houses.... What they did was run a cable up the side of one of the end terrace houses then run it along the fascia's off all the houses, they would then cut into the cable at each house and put a T joint on it......

There aren't that many of them and they are a pain in the **bleep**! No one knows for sure but it's rumoured the concept was the brain child of the same idiot who though Blackburn Cabs were a good idea!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

What a silly idea that was. Perhaps the cut cable can be re-jointed somewhere, lets hope its only a couple of customers off, and not the whole terrace.

0 Ratings