cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
no1queenbee
Message 1 of 10

Cut off soley because did not advise BT to renew contract

Did you know that you can be cut off - not because you have not paid your bill - but because you are on a annual contract and when it expires you are expected to contact BT to let them know that you wish to continue with BT? 

My daughter received no communication requesting her to continue with the contract - and she has been a BT customer for 5 years.  It caught her unawares as she put it down to poor BT broadband and only realised when she tried to use her landline to complain.  And guess what the office that deals with this is only open Monday - Friday between 8.00am to 9.00pm.

So she is left with no landline and no broadband - and can't now work from home.

I've been a BT customer for 37 years and only found out 2 years ago that I was on a annual contract when I contacted BT to find out why I was paying more than my daughter.

So check when your contract ends - or you too could be caught out!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cut off soley because did not advise BT to renew contract

Wen your contract term ends BT move you on to a rolling monthly contract and any cheap deal which you had finishes and you go on to standard terms. You can stay on standard terms indefinitely or you can recontract. BT cannot automatically renew your contract.

Cannot understand how your daughter got disconencted if BT followed their normal procedure

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
Message 3 of 10

I think you are mistaken. At the end of your contract it just reverts to a month by month rolling contract.

There must be another reason your phone and broadband have been been stopped.
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Yeah what your saying is not true, sounds like someone at bt has told you the wrong thing or they've been misunderstood.

You don't need to be in contract, your account would not be closed because the contract expired
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

As already stated, minimum period contracts now carry on month-to-month on standard prices once they've expired. Things have changed since you checked yours two years ago in that Ofcom have banned providers from renewing automatically for longer periods. It's advisable though to contact BT to see if a better price is available in exchange for agreeing to a further minimum term.

More to the point, what makes your daughter think it's because her contract has ended that she's been cut off?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

I have been on a rolling contract for a couple of years now. I have no reason to recontract unless a particularly good deal is offered. The main advantage of a rolling contract is that you can leave whenever the whim takes you with no penalty.

0 Ratings
no1queenbee
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your replies.  All we know is what BT's call centre told her last night.  I also phoned and was told the same last night.  She has been paying on direct debit Ok for past 5 years - so it is not money.  Like lots of you, we assumed that it would just roll over month by month - not cut off with no prior notification.  I have been a BTcustomer for 37 years - oblivious that BT had me on a annual contract - so that obviously was rolling over month by month for years.

Perhaps you are right it is a change in Rules & Regulations but it would be nice to hear - esp as phone & broadband are so important.  We are waiting to hear from BT as I have lodged this as a complaint to them too

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

did you try live chat and see if they can help while you are waiting

live chat http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

No1queenbee you are not on a rolling annual contract, they do not exist (banned a few years ago).

Unless you have specifically signed up for a new contract with bt in the past year, you are not under an annual contract. Everyone who's annual contract expires is put on a rolling 30 day contract to keep them with service.

There has been no change in rules, the reason your daughter was cut off was not because her contract ran out. Try the live chat suggested by iamjolly
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

When I said I was on a rolling contract it was perhaps a bad term, however if you continue paying and BT continue supplying the service you have a contract. The main difference is there is no longer any termination date.

0 Ratings