Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waveph75
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

DEAR BT....CHEAKY VERY VERY CHEAKY!!!

First of all you won't find the expiry date on your BT account 

reason being is so they can phone you to offer a very small discount, for me £2 off a month (very kind), and they'll tell you that you will receive the offer by email so you can accept it.

well... very tactically they call you roughly 3 or 4 month before the end of the contract so and because it looks like a courtesy you accept but you don't think about the consequences.

For the sake of £8 less you are renewing the contract with them for 1 year... if they do it to you ask them to wait until the end of the contract and put the same offer on the table!!!!

So I called as I am moving house and discovered I have to pay £130 for an engineer to come and install something

I am arguing with the lady at the phone that new customers are not paying for installations and I want the same deal... also they don't offer infinity at the new address and so the next solution for me would be to leave and go with Virgin (which serve the address already with fibre optics). Then the lady says that I have to pay £158 to leave and I am a bit surprised because I remember exactly when I moved... exactly 1 year ago!!! then she says... "sorry sir but we sent you an email 3 months ago with the discount of £2 a month on your broad band and by accepting the deal you accepted to renew your contract for another 12 moths"

CHEAKY VERY VERY CHEAKY and a bit of a dishonest approach!!!!!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
waveph75
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: DEAR BT....CHEAKY VERY VERY CHEAKY!!!

there is more... and I just found out speaking with my wife.

They offered £2 discount and they raised the prices after a while... so they locked me up for 1 year knowing that they were going to raise the prices.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Why didn't you use the Sep 20th price rises as a way of cancelling your contract(s) without early termination charges? If you re-contracted before BT announced those rises around Aug then you were entitled to cancel if not happy with them.

It might still be possible to do that now, though strictly speaking I think you should have done it within 30 days of receiving notification of the price rises.

In general there is always a catch with any discounted offer from BT. Normally the catch is that you are required to re-contract certain services for at least 12 months. They don't phone you up and give you a cost reduction just out of courtesy, as you now know. They are not that generous. You really need to get a magnifying glass out and check the small print on any offer letter or email. Of course most people won't do that.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Ending your contracts due to price rises can still cause problems if moving home around that time though. Unless you can transfer to another provider and then get them to handle a home move you could end up without services for a period. It all depends on how dates line up.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Unfortunately, with home moves, it was you and not BT who decided to move.  BT will let you transfer your account across.  But if you need a phone line connecting there's a charge from Openreach for that, and BT will pass it on to you.

When it comes to BT contracts, you have to be very canny.  Don't accept the first offer thay make, and always think through the consequences.  BY will often drip-feed freebies and discounts throughout the year to persuade you to keep re-contracting.  If you accept that, you end up being permanently locked in.

I make a point of saving everything up for one big re-contracting day for all services, once per year.  I do that even if I will be paying more in the short term.  I am currently paying for caller display, which could be free.  But I would have to agree to another 12 month phone contract.  That would leave me in no position to haggle over broadband when that runs out.

0 Ratings