cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

DHCP Table

is there any way to edit the DHCP Table when a device isnt connected?

i have IP's taken up by devices which i no longer own, since they are not connected to the network i cant figure out how to release the IP's and clear the DHCP Table

any help would be nice

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: DHCP Table

They may eventually expire, but the home hubs are not very good in releasing IP addresses from the pool, which is why people have so much trouble. The only sure way is to factory reset the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

i have changed the release time to 1 hour but still no joy, which idiot disgned a router that you can't release the IP's from DHCP manually?

in the Netgear DGN2000 i had before on a different ISP i could click on DHCP and have the  list in front of me, i could add,edit or delete all of them from there

i cant even save a backup of the config file and edit it because its encrypted, who ever designed the interface for this router needs to be fired

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Its the same with most of the home hubs apart from the early ones, where you could delete a device and it gets removed from the configuration.

What tends to happen over a long period of time, is that all of the  IP addresses get used up, and nothing will connect unless it has a static IP address.

Only a factory reset fixes it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@Kymru wrote:

i have changed the release time to 1 hour but still no joy, which idiot disgned a router that you can't release the IP's from DHCP manually?

The same idiot that designed my TP Link I guess, you can't release them on that either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

great, not what i wanted to hear
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

thanks for the heads up, i was thinking about a TP Link at some point in the future, guess i wont bother now
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

I prefer using static IP addresses outside of the DHCP range, and just leave DHCP for roaming devices.

But I do not use the home hub DHCP server, but one that is within one of my wireless access points. That also allows me to specify different DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

It does release addresses when the lease expires though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

But I do not use the home hub DHCP server, but one that is within one of my wireless access points. That also allows me to specify different DNS servers.

oh, out of curiousity, what access point do you use?

0 Ratings