cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paa1605
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

DIY disaster has left me without broadband! Help needed!

A couple of days ago I decided to paint the dining room walls which meant unscrewing the master phone socket so I could paint around it. Unfortunately since this time my broadband has stopped working. The router is actually kept upstairs and plugged into the extension socket. The master socket is not used but I think a wire may have become dislodged which leads to the extension socket. I have tried several different wiring combinations and had no joy. The broadband is working when plugged into the downstairs master socket, but not when plugged in upstairs. Can anyone help me with with the wiring setup? I have attached a photo of the inside of my master socket. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Master socket

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: DIY disaster has left me without broadband! Help needed!

Connect the same colour wires in the master socket to terminals 2&5 as are connected to terminals 2&5 in the extension socket.

0 Ratings
paa1605
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks very much for your help. I'll give that a go and let you know how i get on. Cheers

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 10

Hi @paa1605 and welcome.

Have you tried @licquorice advice? Have you managed to resolve this?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
paa1605
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Hi, yes I tried to wire the master socket in the same configuration as the extension socket and unfortunately it did not work. The extension has orange to 2, green to 3, and blue to 5. I did the same downstairs on the master and no joy. Any more help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Remove 3 from both ends.

Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a go this afternoon. Quick question.. how will removing 3 from both ends help given that it was in the extension socket originally and working, until I dislodged the master socket for painting? Cheers
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

The ring wire (3) is not needed. Silly question, did you replace the faceplate on the master after re-connecting the wires, unless you do the xtension will not be connected

0 Ratings
paa1605
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Yes i reconnected the face plate. I will remove wire 3 and see what happens. The connection on number 5 looks a bit dodgy so I might have to buy a new box and see if that's the problem. Thanks for everyone's help.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

It could be that the wire on connection 5 is not making good contact. You would also benefit from using a pair to carry the signal rather than the 'split legs' of blue and orange. I.e use Blue and Wh/Blue or Orange and Wh/Orange as they will be twisted together and reduce possible interference.

0 Ratings