cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinytina
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

DLM and profile increase

Can I ask a quick query please - if DLM has kicked in on a line, how exactly does the IP profile rise, if at all?  I mean, do you see it rise quietly/automatically everytime you check your ip profile, or will the line keep resetting everytime and your ip address changes?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
tinytina
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: DLM and profile increase

Anyone with any advise please?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 14

When it happens to me I see a resync about 1 a.m. which increases the speed to it's normal level. This is after approximately 2 weeks from the event that damaged the profile.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks. Best to leave everything well alone then!

Cheers.
0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 5 of 14

M8 good luck, DLM can take weeks, months, it all depends to go back to your perfect speeds again it could even take upto 6 months and if you get a power cut or any turn off or the line is bad its back down again. DLM sucks bad, its a massive let down in my opinion it should be scrapped altogether or on a line of 100% quality to the face plate.

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

The download noise margin being reported on my line is 6.5 at the moment.  Does that mean there's some sort of noise or interference?  I understand that a "perfect" margin = 6db?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 14

6 is the target margin that the modem aims for when it syncs with the cab. However, if the final speed is capped then the margin won't get down to the target.
--
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

So our speed is being "capped" at the moment?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 14

Isn't that why you were asking about DLM?
--
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Sorry.  Being thick at the moment!  Ofcourse that's why I asked ... thanks!! 

The bizarre thing is that we had an OR engineer visit a couple of weeks ago - whilst he had his equipment connected to the line he noticed a sync drop. He immediately went to the cabinet, and apparently saw another sync drop whilst connected there. He explained about some "connector" in the cabinet having blown, and for us to have our line moved over to new connectors.  He also said our noise margin would be reset to 12 (as this was a more stable rate for any broadband line). Ten days later (i.e. two days ago) we experienced 2 sync drops, the second one 12 hours after the first, then we noticed the noise margin as 6.5. So wondered what actually was going on.  Was this just a glitch,  is it the start of more disconnections and something having gone wrong in the cabinet again?

0 Ratings