Using the SNR adjustment feature on the Billion router I raised the target to 7 yesterday so that during fluctuations it never got below 6.4 (it had been down to 5.4 before). No freezing in the last 24 hours, and very few errors. No thanks to DLM! Actually seems pretty stable now, but I still don't trust fastpath on our long lines, and without fastpath this would never have happened.
From my perspective DLM seems very flawed.
Thanks for sending over the details. I picked up your email this morning. I tried calling, sorry I missed you. I left a short message. I've placed an order to apply interleaving to the connection. The order will close in the next 24 hours so can you monitor the connection for a few days and let me know how you get on?
Will the line be reset as well? I'm just wondering whether the drop outs and errors of the last ten days will go on to cause more interesting DLM shenanigans! I'll let you know how things go.
I tried calling this morning, sorry I missed you. I've been running a few tests on the connection and the results have picked up a line fault so I've reported that back to Openreach for investigation. I'll be in touch as soon as I have any updates for you.
Thank you for checking and reporting the fault! I guess it's a good job we didn't close the incident. Interleaving still off, but you did say up to ten days and we're not there yet.
Sorry I missed your call ... mobile reception here is intermittent at best.
Openreach have been, although it wasn't a broadband engineer and he didn't run any tests for broadband (he said). If I wrote everything down correctly it goes like this ...
The pair quality tests are all okay, but there is a persistent reported disconnect fault even though the line and broadband are working. They believe this is caused by the line card in the exchange, but they only 'think' this after eliminating everything else (filter, master socket plate, test head at the exchange). The job number for the line card to be looked at is 752755. In the mean time the line will continue to report a disconnect fault when tested. None of this should impact DSL.
If this wasn't the fault you detected then we're not much further forward. Interleaving is still off, but my immediate concern now is that I think I counted 8 deliberate disconnects this morning which will no doubt mess with DLM some more.
All fixed it seems, so I presume the incident can be closed. Thank you for your many efforts and perseverance!
Hopefully that's the last visit from Openreach for a while. This chap certainly seemed to know his stuff. Faults traced as a fair bit of corrosion in the 'boxes' on the two poles nearest the hose causing some kind of short, although I don't remember the exact details. The line is now testing fine, but I'm guessing you'll check it anyway. I don't know about the 'disconnect' fault that the previous Openreach chap had talked about, and this one seemed none the wiser.
This engineer explained that fastpath is the norm after a reset, with DLM turning it off if it isn't working. Hmmm ... I'm not convinced this is very good, but hey ho: interleaving has been on for a few days and is yielding a small speed increase, plus the all important stability.