cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 13

DLM is a terrible beast

I've been running some tests on my IP profile over the past year. Here's my outcome (just the download)

April 47
May 47
June 47
July 40 ( I switched off modem once)
Aug 40
Sep 47
Oct 47
Nov47
Dec47

Jan 39 ( I switched off modem once)
Feb 39
Mar 47
Apr47
May47
Jun 43( I switched off modem once 4 nights ago when I took BT vision/you view box)

In each instance when the profile dropped it aligns perfectly with a single switch off of the modem for 15 mins. In each instance it takes 7-8 weeks to recover.

Far too sensitive to downside and not sensitive enough on upside.
Why is it then we don't have a method of faster recovery ? I can appreciate that the DLM acts to maintain a service but what I cannot accept is the balance it presently exhibits and the faceless nature of its operation.

Right, now that's off my chest I can chill in the summer sun!
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: DLM is a terrible beast

What difference was there with your connection when you had 39 compared with when you had 47?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

It's a double edged sword. It automates line speeds for millions of broadband lines. The trade off is that people should get a slightly slower speed that is very stable, rather than fatest possible which is unstable.

On a related note. Last week I had a visit from an OR Engineer. And he was able to reset my IP profile using a JDS Uniphase HST-3000 handheld tester. This was after a faulty master socket connction was fixed. Otherwise I would have had to wait several weeks to get back to my best possible connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 13

I get that it performs an important job and likely does it well given the volumes it needs to manage.

My concern is how it sees a single 15min moden switch off as line instabiilty.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 13

So what are we saying here?. If you turn just your modem off for over 15 mins it reacts like its 100% stable again and the DLM kicks out and your connection performs and its best throughput or not?. I'm confussed, I have never tried???. So if this is correct I will give it ago, see what results I get!. Anyone given this a try yet?.

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

@jfsfoster wrote:

Last week I had a visit from an OR Engineer. And he was able to reset my IP profile using a JDS Uniphase HST-3000 handheld tester. This was after a faulty master socket connction was fixed. Otherwise I would have had to wait several weeks to get back to my best possible connection.

The tester itself is unable to reset a line, just test it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

That was what he thought. But when he went deep into the VDSL menus he found a reset connection option. He pressed yes and within a minute I had gone from 54.27 Mbps to 77.43 Mbps. The HST must be able to tap into the DLM system remotely. No need for OR helpdesk, (who are rarely willing to do this themselves).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

Unless theres a new dial-in option the tester itself cannot request a dlm reset.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 13

I may have to eat my words!! I've just rebooted my router and my ip profile is back to 47. (That's 4 or 5 days)

DLM , I apologise for dissing you. You did listen .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

I disagree with you Deathtrap,the VDSL tester is connected to the VDSL line to the cab when tests are made,therefore it has remote access to the DLM circuit [hardware or software] and can via menus control the DLM  of any line that it is plugged into.

I am an electronics engineer,and use simular testers a lot when testing and building systems.

But the DLM will sitill retest the line and set the profile from it`s last known setting,so it`s a no win situation.

0 Ratings