Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 46

Re: DLNA - not working with HH3?

Go to solution

Hi, thanks again.

The Belkin model is F5D8236-4 v2 ver.2122uk.  It's a cable router left over from my last house where I was with Virgin on their fibre service.  As far as I've managed to find out it meats the requirements, incl. PPPoE (did see one page advising VDSL not DSL for use with Infinity, can't remember where now though).

I've found a number of pages about using a (wireless) router as a switch with the Home Hub :-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061208191238AA957Xk

http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_tworouters.html

Once my sons are in bed (very soon) I'm going to try replacing the Home Hub, if that fails I'll try using the Belkin as a switch.  What ever happens if I can get online I'll let you know what works (or doesn't).

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 22 of 46

Go to solution

You mean we've just gone to 3 pages for you just to mention you have another VDSL router Smiley Very Happy

It should work, just make a note of the settings from the HH, if it barfs at requiring a password press the spacebar once that should be enough. 

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 46

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, the Belkin is DSL not VDSL, or am I wrong?  I did mention this router back in message 10.

Well it's worked so far! Smiley Very Happy I'm using it now in place of the HH3 to post this.

Bit of a guessing game for passwords etc as it was still setup for my old virgin network, but I got there.

I've done speedtest.net and I'm getting the same speeds (possibly a fraction faster) as I got through the HH3.

Next I've got to check if the NAS is accessible everywhere, after all, that is the reason for all this. Smiley Wink

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all your help so far, hopefully its sorted now, sorry if I wasted any of your time by not making more of the fact that I had another router (I didn't know if it was suitable).

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 46

Go to solution

WAHOOO!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for all your help, everything seems to be working as it should, I can access photos, music and videos from the NAS drive via wire ar wireless on all devices, also everything can connect to the net and eachother.

For anyone else searching for this problem later, I can confirm that the Home Hub 3 ( HH3 ) can be replaced with a standard cable router, in this case a Belkin N wireless Router (model no. F5D8236-4 v2 ver.2122uk) ensure your conection setting is PPPoE and I accepted the settings it offered.  One tip, took me a few attempts at connecting wirelessly to realise I needed to use the preshared key not the router password to set up the connections on the wireless devices, in my defence the device was asking for 'password'.

geaves, once again THANKYOU for all your help, if I lived in Essex I'd buy you a pint (or 2 or 3 etc.).  Is there any way I can show thanks on here e.g. rating your help or recommending you in some way?  Let me know.

I'm Smiley Very Happy now but I'm Smiley Mad with BT, they sell Infinity and the HH3 as being the centre of your connected life, streaming files from one place to another at high speed, most TVs, blurays, etc these days are using dlna, why can't the HH3? Smiley Mad  I'm paying good money for this, why should I have to buy a new switch/router (luckily I had a spare) and possibly power an extra device when the HH3 is sold as doing it all!!!

Thank you geaves. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 25 of 46

Go to solution

You should congratulate yourself for your dogged persistence and patience getting this sorted out, mark your last post as solved because that is the solution. That last post was at 1.30 in the morning.....Smiley Happy

Must admit I did miss your comment about the Belkin, either it didn't sink in or the appointment I have at Specsavers is more urgent than I thought....Smiley Very Happy

I have to agree with you about the Hub, I wish BT would understand that some of their customers don't just want to connect to the internet and set up a network printer. Media streaming, Android, Smartphones, tablets and a whole host of other kit is now being used in the home and the Hub just doesn't cut it.

Anyway glad you got it sorted and all your media streaming is now working.

As a footnote to this thread, THE HH CANNOT HANDLE MULTICAST BROADCASTS, EITHER REPLACE THE HH WITH SOMETHING ELSE OR ADD A SWITCH AND BYPASS THE HH FOR INTERNAL NETWORKING.

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks again geaves for all your help.  Still all working Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
bbcol
Contributor
Message 27 of 46

Go to solution
Really? DLNA doesn't work? That's shocking and is not a modern router at all!

Do BT mods have anything say about this?
0 Ratings
kalato
Contributor
Message 28 of 46

Go to solution
Prolly not, My 360 Slim wont connect to the BT Hub 3 and I still havent found a solution.
0 Ratings
baldywig
Beginner
Message 29 of 46

Go to solution
i got exactly the same problem, homehub has some nice features but is useless for networking, im going to try a gigabyte switch & see if that cures mine,, annoyingly im reading this after i sold a netgear wired router on ebay for £2.
0 Ratings
baldywig
Beginner
Message 30 of 46

Go to solution
switch fitted & instant results on wired network,still not conversing wired/wireless, the issue now is with a ps3 not picking up a readynas (ok on reset but drops it later). ran an ethernet round to ps3 & connected & again instant result so now everything is ok,, its probably a more stable connection being wired but its cost me hours of trying different fixes & the cost of a switch + cables,, overall i,d say the homehub is not the real deal due to its networking issues but is still has some nice features.
0 Ratings