Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geaves
Expert
Message 11 of 46

Re: DLNA - not working with HH3?

Go to solution

Right new we're getting somewhere........this for some reason is related to the NAS box as far as the PS3 and Xbox are concerned.

NAS boxes run on Linux and the shares can be seen on your computers as shares using SMB/CIF's, the Xbox and the PS3 can use DLNA and UPnP only. The fact that the PS3 can see the computers as media servers tells us that UPnP is working OK.

I did some trawling on this yesterday and found this http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19909 I also read on one forum I found (cant find it again) a suggestion turning off the DNLA option.

Now you probably dont want to read this one, but I found it interesting Smiley Happy http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30462-netgear-readynas-duo-reviewed

BTW...I'm still searching....

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 12 of 46

Go to solution

There is another option which came up on bt forum once b4 with a similar issue, whilst they didnt try the suggestion (they replaced the Hub) and I have read the same suggestion on the ReadyNas forum, to use a switch (network hub), so that there is 1 Ethernet connection from the Hub to a switch then all other Ethernet connections go into the switch, which is what I use.

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks again geaves.

I have read the forum link but can not find a similar setting in the NAS menu or th eHH3 menu so I don't have any idea how to disable Multicast Pass Through. I have tried turning off DNLA previously but it made no difference, I'll try again later in case anything has changed and so I can confirm.

I'm considering resetting both the HH3 and the NAS and setting them up again to see what happens.  I still feel it is the HH3 causing the problem as the NAS worked perfect before installing the HH3, but I also know what computers are like and it could just as easily be something in the NAS! 🙂

Thank you for your continued assistance.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 14 of 46

Go to solution

I'm sure we can crack this....and there are 2 options that would be worth pursuing....

A cheap switch to take the Hub out of the equation except for 1 connection from the Hub to the switch.

A total restart from scratch....using the Hub's DHCP and just giving the NAS a static IP. 

You wouldnt happen to live in Essex.....Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks again geaves.

I got very excited a few minutes ago, I was in another room talking to my wife and messing with my android phone which connected to the NAS and allowed me to start a video playing! 🙂 I went to the Somy Bluray to try that ... nothing! 😞  Tried my phone again .... nothing, couldn't even detect the NAS!!! 😞

Tomorrow (Friday) I'll try a complete reset of the HH3 & NAS and set the NAS and the priter to fixed ip and leave the rest DHCP, see what happens then.

What ever the result, I'll post to let you know what happened and possibly help others.

Not sure why it decided to work for a moment!?! 😕

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 46

Go to solution

Meant to say, no I don't live in Essex, I live in South Wales.  Why?

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 17 of 46

Go to solution

@holmesm wrote:

Meant to say, no I don't live in Essex, I live in South Wales.  Why?

I have a 24 port hub which you could use to test, I do IT support at my wife's school and use it for commissioning new laptops on the domain, but it's not the sort of thing that you can just pop in the post. I still believe that this would solve the problem though as this appears to be the same issue as with the HH2.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 18 of 46

Go to solution

Just found this, read message 15... Smiley Very Happy solution was to add a switch and bypass the hub except for a connection from the Hub to the switch..... http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Multicast-blocking/td-p/6832/page/2 seems the issue is with the Hub and Multicast.

In effect a hub/switch will bypass the HH for internal traffic, in other words you're simply putting in a diversion to get past the road block.

Another known problem....Smiley Sad

holmesm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks again geaves.

Thanks for the offer of the port to test that option, pity I'm not in Essex.

I found out today that to reset my NAS drive I'd have to copy everything off it first, that'll take days so I'll skip that for now.

Have been trying different settings, intermittently I can play videos from the NAS on my Android phone but then next time I try to connect it can't find the NAS again.  No other device finds the NAS at all, don't know whats so special about the phone!

Am I right, using a switch wouldn't help the wireless connection (my bluray player connects wirelessly to stream from the NAS), could I use my spare Belkin N wireless router instead of a switch?  Or even in place of the HH3?

If using it as a (wireless & wired) switch, any advice on setting the ip addresses would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 20 of 46

Go to solution

I knew you would ask about the wireless bit....Smiley Wink to be honest I don't know....what I do know is whilst your NAS box is connected to the Hub, Multicast broadcasts are not going to get through.

So logic tells me that if the Hub is taken totally out of the equation other than for internet access and you add a switch all your problems should go away as all the internal traffic is going to go through the switch and not the Hub.

This is the type of kit you want http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wired-networking/727_7091_70098_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html provided it's main powered.

If you want post the Belkin Model and I'll do some research.

0 Ratings