cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

DNS - ARRGGHH!!!

Started having connectivity issues early Friday (KA26 postcode area). One by one, our computers reported no Internet connectivity. I caught a short cryptic message on my laptop as it lost its connectivity. The message referred to the DNS not being reachable. After some troubleshooting, I re-configured our three computers to use OpenDNS - and we at least now have them connected and working again. No issues have been reported in our area that I can ascertain.

Once the dust had settled, I pinged the DNS IP addresses the (HH4) router was assigned - both were unreachable. I powered off the router for half an hour, and powered it back up. New DNS IP addresses had been assigned, but these are also unreachable.

So right now, we have internet connectivity using OpenDNS, but I cannot configure everything manually and really need to try and get this resolved (if for no other reason to get Wifi calling fixed on the mobiles). In short, does anyone have any bright ideas to try before I brave a call to BT tomorrow? Please??!!!!

Currentlt assigned HH4 DNS IP addresses are: 217.32.171.21 and 213.120.234.6

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: DNS - ARRGGHH!!!

Apparently BT DNS servers are configured not to respond to ping.

Other DNS servers may or may not respond depending on configuration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

@Liam_ wrote:

Apparently BT DNS servers are configured not to respond to ping.

Other DNS servers may or may not respond depending on configuration.

..hmm, thanks for this - I think - although your reply muddies the waters rather nicely!!!!Smiley Mad

The fact that we're good with OpenDNS seems to suggest that there is a problem with us seeing the BT DNSs, so I'm guessing that I really will have to brave that 'phone call tomorrow - unless I keep on powering down the HH4 and hope I get assigned something I can reach!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

constantly powering your hub will cause you further problems as every disconnection is seen as a line fault and will cause the DLM to increase your noise margin and reduce your speed in an attempt to stabilise the connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

@john46 wrote:
constantly powering your hub will cause you further problems as every disconnection is seen as a line fault and will cause the DLM to increase your noise margin and reduce your speed in an attempt to stabilise the connection

Sorry, that bit was said tongue in cheek!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Why bother going back to the original DNS server?  Been using OpenDNS here for many years.  Every new piece of kit is configured to use them in place of the ISPs own.  Used with Telewest, BT, BE and again BT.  Never had problems.

You have it working now so just leave things as is.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@Liam_ wrote:

Why bother going back to the original DNS server?  Been using OpenDNS here for many years.  Every new piece of kit is configured to use them in place of the ISPs own.  Used with Telewest, BT, BE and again BT.  Never had problems.

You have it working now so just leave things as is.

A fair question.

In all probability, I expect I'll leave the three machines I've reconfigured as they are. Since this issue surfaced, my research has shown me that DNS problems seem to be quite an issue with BT. However, I need something a bit more practical for the relatives and clients who turn up here - otherwise everyone will have to check their machines into the "IT helpdesk" (ie, me) before they have any Internet access. A little impractical. Then, there is the mobile problem. We live in a rural area with no mobile signal and quite frankly, there probably will never be such a thing around here. With only 4 houses along a 4 mile strectch of rural, steep valley road, nobody is likely to bother putting a mast near us (and the same goes for fibre). We use wifi calling to keep mobiles in use in the house, and I've never tried to configure one of those manually for internet access. Don't even know if its possible to be quite honest.

BT have actually been reasonably free of tehnical issues in this area for the last 10 years. The speed is OK, slow by city standards by quite useable. Physical issues (lightning strikes on cables, trees rubbing cables through, diggers pulling up cables, junction boxes filling with water) etc are another thing, but these technical issues are thankfully quite rare.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Hi again,

I know this is probably not what most folks want to hear but in reality getting your own third party modem/router is the best idea.  You can configure it exactly how you want, DNS, port forwarding that is stable, UPnP that actually works in the intended manner, guest access for visitors the list goes on.

Well worth the investment.  Got 3 hubs in their boxes simply due to the limitations of the devices.  Hope your lack of  line issues continues, since I got Infinity the service (of the connection, that is) has been perfect.  Same can't be said about the performance of the Hubs though.

0 Ratings