cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 51 of 66

Re: DNS Problems on almost EVERY site, wtf BT?

That isn't a true server but what is known as proxying. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 66

@anthonyUK wrote:

That isn't a true server but what is known as proxying. 

Not it isn't, routers will run a caching name server, you don't proxy DNS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 66

anthonyUK wrote:DNS contains a mapping for every domain name to IP address so would obviously not fit in the limited memory of a router.

DNS servers do not contain every single DNS entry for every single domain, they forward the request onto the server(s) responsible for the domain in question, so the limited memory of a router is not really a problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 54 of 66

Really? http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5625

So your router is an authoritative DNS server for what domains exactly?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 55 of 66

So your router is an authoritative DNS server for what domains exactly?  I don't think we mentioned authoritative, but did make the distiction bewteen a router and a 'real' dns server.  Even google's 8.8.8.8 or BT's 194.72.0.98 do not claim to be giving authorative answers.  

I don't think there is a fully established terminology distinction between proxy and server in this case.  The borderline  probably depends partly on context.  Most people care more about whether it gives the right answer than what it's name is.

Windows thinks the HomeHub is a server.

C:\utils>nslookup www.google.com
Server: BTHomeHub.home
Address: 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 56 of 66

Most people care more about whether it gives the right answer than what it's name is. 

Exactly which is why you should have an option to choose your own servers to use. 

A DNS speed test from Steve Gibson usually shows google and Open DNS to be the fastest. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 57 of 66

I absolutely agree it should have the option to change the DNS servers it uses; or better to tell its clients to use other servers without HomeHub intervention.  

Recent tests on DNSBench have shown the BT servers slightly quicker for me than google or openDNS (or 4.2.2.5 which I used to use).  Results vary from test to test more than the difference between the reasonable servers.  And of course there are other reasons for wanting to use opendns as well as speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 58 of 66

"A DNS speed test from Steve Gibson usually shows google and Open DNS to be the fastest."

anthony,

I use the Steve Gibson DNSBench otimizer,and it always shows that my local DNS [Draytek 2750n] as the fastest,followed by the secondary DNS that I use.

The second one never gets used unless the first fails.

I can post proof of this here if needed,but speed is not the only thing that matters,the DNS servers have to be reliable and respond to all requests without refering to advert sites if a wrong URL is entered etc.

OpenDNS refers to advert sites,as do some others.

My connection has been up for about 2 months without dropping out for any reason,and I can choose any DNS that I require.:)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 59 of 66

Ironman - your router cannot resolve DNS on its own. It as proxying requests to a proper server and caching them probably to BTs assigned servers unless you have changed them. 

Whilst BTs servers may be  sometimes slightly faster then Open DNS it is only by 0.01 sec.

What do you mean by advert sites. Open DNS does intercept some sites for security or filters you can apply. 

I have been using these for a while and they have been extremely reliable and offer these filters for security purposes which are free. 

Steve Gibsons security now is a good podcast. Early episodes were based on the basics of how the Internet works. 

I recommend it to anyone who uses it. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 66

I will post some pics later.

0 Ratings