Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewsb
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

DNS Requests Intercepted and Blocked

Go to solution

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum, or on any forum for that matter so apologies if I have put this in the wrong area 🙂 I have had a look round and tried the options listed in other articles with a similar title, and none of the suggested solutions work, so here we go;

The problem that I have is an in ability to use a third party DNS server. The problem reared its ugly head about a month ago, then subsided whilst I was on the phone waiting for a BT support representative, only to show up again today. I have turned off the two family filters, I forget their precise name but I have dialled into the BT web portal and checked that they are off as previous posts have suggested. 

If i switch my forwarders on my home server to BT's DNS servers then the DNS request is served, or rather proxied if what I have read elsewhere is true. I would like to use DNS servers that i trust to give me reliable up times and relatively few censored DNS request results, but by using BT, i seem to have no option but to use their DNS servers and receive their filtered results.

If any of you bright sparks out there have any ideas that could help me out, it would be very much appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your efforts 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: DNS Requests Intercepted and Blocked

Go to solution

If you have BT Parental Controls or BT Protect on your line, then it will block all attempts to access any other DNS service.  That's to stop people bypassing the filters.

Simply disabling them doesn't work, you have to totally unsubscribe from both (and maybe reboot the router and all affected computers) before it will work again.

0 Ratings
matthewsb
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I did spot something in another post about having to remove the filters, I followed the directions but when i get onto the web portal, i do not have an option to delete the controls, only to switch them on or off.

bt.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You have to turn them on first, then there is an option to delete them.

0 Ratings
matthewsb
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I enabled and then disabled the Bt Protect and the Parental Controls, and an option then appeared to delete the settings for the Parental controls, but not the BT Protect. How ever, when I changed my DNS forwarders away from the BT DNS servers and over to a third party server, it all worked!

Thank you very much for your assistance to all who commented, hopefully this is the last of the error messages I will receive. Here is the exact quote so that anyone googling for the answer to the same problem as me might land on this page and also benefit from your pearls of wisdom! "You are viewing this page because you are using a BT service which requires the use of BT DNS servers"

0 Ratings
matthewsb
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I spoke to soon, BT randomly started blocking my traffic again tonight after allowing DNS lookups to thirdparty servers since i posted the success, nothing has changed, it just seems to happen sporadically and then remain blocked for an indeterminable length of time. I wonder if it's even posssible now to use DNS servers other than BT's without experiencing intermittent problems.

Has anyone else got this working on a Broadband connection taken out in the last three months or so?

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

There is a way to avoid using your ISPs transparent proxying and DNS interception but it isn't so easy.

You need to use DNSCrypt which is like an HTTPS version for DNS and there is a desktop client available from https://dnscrypt.org/