cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

DNS hijacking

I'm unable to use OpenDNS or Google DNS servers because all requests to resolve google.com (or any google address I believe) are being hijacked and directed to a BT IP address (31.55.184.0/24):

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS) or 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)

tracert google.com
Tracing route to google.com [31.55.184.119] <- Incorrect BT IP address

BT default DNS:

tracert google.com
Tracing route to google.com [74.125.230.228] <- Correct Google IP address

I know you have just blocked a bunch of sites by court order but I think you have also broken something ..

Edit: Should add I just realised I have posted this to the wrong forum! I am an Infinity customer using a HH5

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: DNS hijacking

This is the correct behaviour, as BT have direct links into Google to give the best performance. To do this, DNS requests for any Google service are intercepted before they enter the core network, and redirected down very fast trunks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This is the correct behaviour, as BT have direct links into Google to give the best performance. To do this, DNS requests for any Google service are intercepted before they enter the core network, and redirected down very fast trunks.

Ok I see .. that BT IP address is unreachable though

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

That court order was pie in the sky. They've started blocking independently.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Great another hidden 'benefit' that I don't want. Managed to get most things fixed but my Chromecast will not work.

It cannot connect to the internet (Google I guess) but everything else can.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Is it also correct behaviour that those IP addresses BT is hijacking to aren't actually routable? Cause I'm having this same problem and it's stopping me accessing Google services.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This most certainly isn't "correct behaviour"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Silly question. 

If BT is rewriting Google DNS and Open DNS results to give their own IPs that send traffic down super fast trunk routes then why wouldn't they also do the same rewriting for their own BT DNS server results?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

@ray_dorset wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This most certainly isn't "correct behaviour"

Completely agree. If BT want to redirect their own DNS server requests then fine, but they should not be doing this for non-BT DNS servers.

@floyduk wrote:

Silly question. 

If BT is rewriting Google DNS and Open DNS results to give their own IPs that send traffic down super fast trunk routes then why wouldn't they also do the same rewriting for their own BT DNS server results?

Good question.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 13

Good question.

That is the question. Why are BT not routing their own DNS results internally?

It doesn't make any sense and I hope it isn't anything nefarious.

0 Ratings