cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

DNS oddity

Non-existent domains all resolve to 92.242.132.15. Try it: ping z.yqq -- or anything which might be a domain. I would expect that to come back with "Ping request could not find host z.yqq" or some similar message.

It appears BT is playing with DNS. I don't suppose there is anyone from BT here to comment; but are there any ideas as to why?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
warden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: DNS oddity

There's an answer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244/c/346,402,405

BT are providing sponsored links if a DNS search fails, and allows an opt-out. I reckon BT is following previous form [pun very much intended] in intercepting and re-routing web communications. This should be opt-in.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi Warden,

We've looked into this and it is not related to BT Web Address Help.

Thanks

Paddy,
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Erm, sorry Paddy.

I beg to differ. Any non-existant domain (NXDOMAIN) resolves to barefruit.co.uk unless you opt-out of the BT Web Address Help.

unallocated.barefruit.co.uk.

If you want ping (and nslookup) and all those other good services to work as they should, then opt out of BT Web Address Help:

http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi

More information in this thread:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-DNS-hijack-for-mistyped-or-invalid-URLs/td-p/45082

0 Ratings
warden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I concur with Tommy.

ping z.yqq (or whatever) was resolving to 92.242.132.15 until I opted out of Web Address Help. After opting out, ping behaved and reported NXDOMAIN. This evening, I opted back in and non-existant domains resolved to that address again. There is a correlation.

Unfortunately, having opted out again, my DNS settings haven't recovered Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 6 of 14

Hi all

I’m sorry for any confusion, we incorrectly thought this thread was referring to a fault that occurred on Wednesday which appeared to be DNS related. The fault was actually a problem unrelated to DNS or BT Web Address Help and has now been resolved.

Here’s some more info about Web Address Help.  This is a new service launched by BT which provides useful search results in place of an error message when a URL has been typed incorrectly. Customers are automatically given Web Address Help unless they tell us they don’t want it. It is easy to opt out if you would prefer not to have this service.

We have further information about Web Address Help on our Help pages on BT.com.  This page contains clear instructions on how to opt out.  Please use this link to find out more:  http://www.bt.com/help/webaddresshelp

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
warden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

We have further information about Web Address Help on our Help pages on BT.com.  This page contains clear instructions on how to opt out.

Yes, I found that, thanks; I've been playing with it. Hopefully I'll be able to persuade the service that I want to opt out later on.

However: I believe this is a worse intervention than the Phorm/Webwise trials, because BT is actually altering communications without informed consent. Unauthorised interception of communications is unlawful, and this should not be opt-out. Informed consent means it must be opt-in. I think I'll refer it to the Surveillance Commissioners.

CrucialRich
Message 8 of 14

Hi,

Glad I found this. I've been struggling with VPN access to our corporate intranet for weeks as a result of this **bleep** web address help. I started out hacking hosts and complaining to our corporate tech support then once I figured out the problem I've been hacking my DNS settings every time I connect - what a pain! Man Mad

Now I know I can opt out I've tried that - hopefully that should fix the problem.

I agree that this is definitely something that should be opt in rather than opt out. BT clearly haven't thought through the implications of it.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

@KerryG wrote:

Hi all

I’m sorry for any confusion, we incorrectly thought this thread was referring to a fault that occurred on Wednesday which appeared to be DNS related. The fault was actually a problem unrelated to DNS or BT Web Address Help and has now been resolved.

Here’s some more info about Web Address Help.  This is a new service launched by BT which provides useful search results in place of an error message when a URL has been typed incorrectly. Customers are automatically given Web Address Help unless they tell us they don’t want it. It is easy to opt out if you would prefer not to have this service.

We have further information about Web Address Help on our Help pages on BT.com.  This page contains clear instructions on how to opt out.  Please use this link to find out more:  http://www.bt.com/help/webaddresshelp

Thx

Kerry

This should be stopped immediately.

So far it always breaks VPN connections, which is frankly being ignored. It is DNS hijacking and interception.

It is also advertising by the back door by people paying in case someone mistypes a URL. Who has decided that it is useful ? How many end users were asked, and what questions ?

Also, as I've already said before, the people that "installed" this service only believe that people use browsers, when there are many that don't and use different services, and non PC type systems. Some of these systems expect to receive certain conditions on failure.

I again refer to the disastrous "business product" for adverts which was removed immediately as it broke lots of different systems.

I refer to others my shortcuts options 17/17a.

Message 10 of 14

BT keeps walking the fine line of illegality. I am getting fed up with this approach. Why haven't they chosen an opt-in approach. I have never given consent to pass my failed DSN queries to a third party.

0 Ratings