Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morris24
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

DNS problems

Hi there forum.

I just signed up this minute as I've been having DNS problems for a couple of weeks now.

We have two laptops and one PS3 in our house and all three of these have experienced the same issue. When I'm using any of these devices I can remain connected to the Internet for roughly a couple of hours but then I will lose my connection to the router and get an error message in my browser (Google Chrome) saying that the DNS lookup failed.

I normally have to wait for a minute or so for the connection to re-establish itself but on some occasions this has taken longer. It wasn't much of a problem at first but it's become extremely annoying when I'm watching something or filling out a form online to suddenly have to wait and refresh everything with no guarantee it will work. (It even went down as I was registering for this very forum.)

I have tried numerous fixes that I looked up online, such as flushing the dns cache, modifying the settings on my router and even trying different DNS addresses in my TCP/IPv4 properties, none of which have solved the problem.

I'm hoping that the members of the community here would be able to help me with this problem asap. Any furthur details needed just ask and I'll do my best to provide them.

Thank you in advance.

Morris.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
sjjj
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: DNS problems

Hello, I think I have the same problem as you.

When this problem occurs on one PC, are the other PCs perfectly fine and can connect browse the internet etc?

Simon

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

A DNS issue might not be the root cause.  Whenever a browser tries to access a web page it will likely involve quite a few DNS lookups, cached or otherwise.  It is possibly a general network, wireless or Internet problem, and DNS is just the first link in the chain to report a problem.

When the problem is happening, can you successfully browse to your hub on http://192.168.1.254 ?

This will not involve DNS and will test the link to the hub itself.

Depending on the result, other things can be tried.

Charlie

0 Ratings
sjjj
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Hello,

As I think my problem is the same:

(On my two laptops connected via wireless, this affects each individually at random times.)

Using a web browser it does not load the BT HH page at 192.168.1.254.

But you can ping this address okay, but pinging a web addresss like google is useless and all data is lost.

Simon

0 Ratings
sjjj
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Correction.

When it does die, pinging www.google.com it comes up with "ping request could not find host".

To resolve the problem, we disable and enable our wireless connection in windows.

Simon

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

It sounds like for some reason the HomeHub is not giving out the correct DNS servers. Can you try and reset your Homehub by using a pen to push the tiny red button?

I hope this helps

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
sjjj
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

The HH has been reset several times this year and the problem has always been present.

I don't know why this issue pops up randomly for only one device at a time.

I have changed a few TCP/IP settings and will report back if it fixes the problem.

0 Ratings
Morris24
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

I should probably have pointed out that I do not own a BT home hub.

My router is a Zyxel p660hw T1 v2 which I purchased about 5 or even 6 years ago now. I'm confident it isn't a problem with my router though as I have tried an alternate one and got the same errors.

So yeah that link doesn't work for me. Any other ideas out there?

Morris.

0 Ratings
sjjj
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Hi Morris,

I changed my laptops to having fixed IP addresses on the HH, and also manually set the IP and DNS server settings in TCP/IP properties, and I've also disabled LMHOSTS lookup...

... so far I have not had any problems though it's only been a few hours (normally would of died a few times by now).

Simon

0 Ratings
Morris24
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Hey Simon.

Did that fix of yours work out properly? If so then I'll want to try it!

Morris.

0 Ratings