cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 49

Re: DNS server not responding

So it shows the Hub is connected to the Internet. It also shows that DNS on the hub is working, and that's what this client at least is using. So that's all good.

You initially said you'd "been having an issue with the above for almost a week now". Was there anything that happened around that time that might help explain the loss of connectivity? Did all the device you have stop working at the same time?

You also said "can't access any web pages on any device". If we take the Windows PC for example, what browser do you use and what is the error it gives. Have you tried different browsers on the PC?

I have to admit I'm struggling to think of something that would all the devices you have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 49

I can't think of anything that would have caused this. We went out and when we came back and turned the internet on last Saturday we were struck with this which has lasted up till today. I've tried 3 different browsers on my PC and all those connected to WiFi use different ones as standard. Everything just tried to connect to web pages then timeout. My PC troubleshooter keeps telling me the Dns server is not responding.

I've tried two different smart hubs both with the same issue. Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to resolve this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 23 of 49

Hi,

Interesting issue, that appears to have had all the bases covered already.  Only thing I can think of at the moment that hasn't been tried is disabling IPv6 support on the PC NIC.  Obviously IPv4 is working fine, (pings & DNS resolver), so, that leaves a hub glitch, possibly.  IPv6 is used first then fall back to v4 if unsuccessful, so, fall back not working in the hub?  Ok, disabling v6 on PC won't help mobile devices right off but may give some indication of the fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 49

Worth a shot as running out of ideas.... unless we start trying to run packet captures Smiley Frustrated That won't be easy as you can't get access to Internet to download Wireshark Smiley Wink

As far as I'm aware Windows network priority is IPv6 Global Unicast Address (GUA), then IPv4 and then IPv6 Unique Local Address. The ipconfig from before only shows Link Local so IPv6 shouldn't be tried.... but as above it has to be worth a shot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 49

I gave disabling ipv6 a try on my PC but still no change after a restart. I'm still shown as having internet connection, can ping Google and other sites but still have no access to them through a browser and programs like Steam can't access internet either. Very perplexing.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 49

To eliminate the browser and HTTP altogether, if you're comfortable on the PC command line, you could try FTP.

I've just sent you a private message with details of my FTP server, and a username and password to use. Let us know how that goes.

EDIT: I won't be offended if you're not comfortable connecting to an unknown site based on a message from an equally unknown person.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 27 of 49

Well, barrel scraping now.  We know that cmd prompt, ping, tracert etc bypass router & ISP block lists, just like VPN & TOR.  So I don't suppose you have a copy of TOR Browser available?   It would at least narrow things a bit more.

smf22,  if FTP successful want to try putting the TOR Browser on for him to try?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 49

Can't hurt to give it a try smf22.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 49

Hmm I get connected to the FTP server then the connection is closed by remote host.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 49

At what point? Do you get prompted for username, password etc.?

0 Ratings