Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 49

Re: DNS server not responding

All I get is connected to "FTP name"
Then it hangs for a few seconds before I get connection closed by remote host.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 49

What BT Hub are you using? Can get access to the Web GUI of this and login OK? If so can you check the Event log to see if there's any messages that look firewall related? You can access this via http://192.168.1.254 then on a Hub 5 it's Troubleshooting -> Event log, and on the Hub 6 it's Advanced settings -> Technical log -> Event log.

I never like doing this, but as a quick test it might also be worth disabling the firewall to see if this helps? On the Hub 5 and 6 you can get to this via Advanced settings -> Firewall -> Configuration and set the radio button to "Disabled". You'll need to click Save or Apply after you make the change.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 49

I'm using a home hub 6. I tried disabling the firewall earlier but didn't seem to have an effect. I haven't looked at the event log though so I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the help btw.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 49

This may help?

Windows sometimes has a habit of storing faulty parameters in its Registry.

Make sure you have any ethernet drivers at hand that you may need, then "unistall the ethernet device" and immediately reboot the PC.

The Ethernet device should reinstall itself.

If it does not reinstall manually.

Check if this has solved your connection problem?

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 49

Well I checked the event log on my hub and the only standout thing I can see is something called TR69 continually failing to send an inform message.

Tr69 creating new session with ACS
TR69 sending inform message
TR69 event found : 0 BOOTSTRAP
TR69 unable to send Inform message
TR69 connectivity to (pbthdmw.bt.m) has failed

Don't know if this is unusual or not.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 36 of 49

Hi,

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the 'Smart Hub' has probably expired.  There are numerous forum posts of problems with the thing.  The sensible solution is to invest in a proper VDSL capable modem/router.  If you complain to BT the best result you can hope for is they send you another Hub.  A new one might work but for how long?

As confirmed by the tests you carried out it seems your connection is working fine and the problem is confined to the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 49

That's the thing they already sent me out another hub and it didn't work at all. Then when I phoned all I got was that the new hub will take 24 - 48 hours to work with my line. Can't say they've been a great deal of help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 49

If this is happening on different devices and you have already had a replacement Smarthub which made no difference it sounds more like this is a network problem and not a problem with your equipment.

Try switching off your Smarthub for a couple of hours to see if it gets issued a new IP address and if that doesn't help post back to see if the moderators can help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 49

I will do. Just off the phone for the 5th time and the guy said he refreshed my connection at the exchange or something and is going to call me back in 45 minutes to see if that does anything. If not I'll be asking for an engineer because I'm not going another week with no internet access.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 49

I was thinking of dropping and reconnecting the WAN to get another IP, but changing hub would already likely have dine that.

Still trying to figure out what BT network problem would allow ICMP, but seemingly stop TCP.

When you look in the log do you see the time is set to the correct date and time?
0 Ratings