cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 49

Re: DNS server not responding

Yeah it's set to the right time. It just occurred to me to plug it in downstairs to see if it was the wiring up stairs but nope didn't make a difference. The guy in the phone doesn't seem to have a clue either.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 49

Well according to another person from BT (the first hung up on me after keeping me on hold for half an hour) apparently they are doing work on my line which is what's been causing the problems. He said that they are promising a resolution time of midnight tonight so guess I just have to wait and see. Its kind of insane that I've talked to 6 different people in the space of a week and none of them mentioned this but whatever.

I'll update the thread tomorrow if I have a positive result. Thanks for all the help kind folk.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 43 of 49

I know exactly what the issue is, basically BT are incompetant and a shameful excuse of a company at doing what they promise.

They have too many people in your area accessing things at the same time, I had 2 years of this irritance and eventually worked out the issue.

Everything willtellyou its fine, bt will see you are connected, tell you your mbps etc etc, but they have no idea about packets, on average i had 1000 packet loss a second. that is basically non existant inernet but enough to register as internet connection.

BT refused to acknowledge it as an issue and is frankly why I recommend to every single person to boycott the big companies as all are guilty of the same thing. I have been with bt, sky, virbin etc etc. All care very little about packets, one of the most important factors of a wifi connection.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 44 of 49

Do you get the same packet loss when using an ethernet connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 45 of 49

Re: DNS server not responding - SOLVED

FINALLY DNS ISSUES  SOLVED

I've had similar issues, 5 months and  5 hubs later, umpteen engineers, hours and hours on the phone I finally wrote to the CEO's of BT and Openreach and copied in OFWAT. 

Things started happening slowly. I won't go into the 3-week ordeal from there, but hopefully, this helps someone. 

I had an OpenReach broadband engineer here today, he confirmed that the issue is not on my side nor is it on their (OpenReach) side but with BT. Loads of phone calls later (by him), they tracked down someone at BT who performed a STALE REFRESH which fixed the issue. 

So basically if the DNS is not responding, chances are your settings on the BT server has gone wrong and is locked, the only way to resolve that is to have this STALE REFRESH done. Both the engineer and the chap on the phone admitted that there should be a better process in place for us the clients to reach someone who can do a stale refresh... 

Good luck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 46 of 49

A more efficient and much quicker resolution to the DNS issues would be to either use Google or OpenDNS servers on all of your devices.  The best thing is buy a good third party router and put your choice of DNS servers in the router.  No more DNS issues.  A small selection of what's available:

OpenDNS

OpenDNS Filtered servers: DNS servers that block adult content(apparently)

OpenDNS IPV6

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

Google

Google IPv6

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

Verisign

Verisign IPv6

2620:74:1b::1:1

2620:74:1c::2:2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 47 of 49

Hi Liam, sure thing, but as a matter of principle I wanted them to admit that there is a fault on their side - which they refused to do and besides why should I pay money for a router when they charged me £60 for a very poor quality router already! - hopefully this will save the next person some time should they hit the same problems. PS. I probably will get another non BT router soon as I'd like to set up ad-filtering etc and use OPEN VPN and and and..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 48 of 49

You make a valid point.  Things should function correctly.  Unfortunately sometimes in the real world they don't always do so.  Remember about IPv6 support on whatever router you decide on.  Perhaps bear in mind as well the information here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Problem-on-openreach-network-with-unapproved-vds...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 49 of 49

Another solution to this problem.

Had same issue. The BT call centre guy followed the script and came to the conclusion that the broadband and router were working fine and that the issue was that our devices were faulty (all 10 of them; laptops, mobiles, pcs, ps4, NowTV, TV, Amazon firestick had become faulty overnight). Gave us a tech support number. Lovely lady on the other end gave us the simple solution, an enhanced version of the switch off/switch on solution.

1. Unplug BT Hub.
2. Disconnect/powerdown all wifi devices
3. Wait 15/30 minutes
4. Power Hub back-on
5. Do factory reset.
6. Reconnect wifi devices.

These solved the "DNS server is not responding" issue and all devices back online.

0 Ratings