cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 161 of 207

Re: DNS

Ok so here I am now day 7 and no improvement. Google still acting up as is Youtube.

So tried the Local Network change to 8.8.4.4.  and 8.8.8.8 on ipv/4 did a reboot.

No Change. I did look at my hub page and it is still saying the old

Primary DNS    31.55.185.26

Secondary DNS    31.55.187.18

Using HH3 with white modem if that has any bearing.

At the moment I am in the midst of testing some 3d software and we need to post unlisted vids on youtube.

A 14 second clip said 31 minutes to process OMG.

So cancelled and tried again and it went up in under 1 minute.

No I am not a Business I am a hobbyist so please don't suggest a Business Account as 99.9% of my use of joe public on

the internet.

Can one of the moderators please let us and me know what is going on.

Thank You.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 162 of 207

You can't change the DNS settings on the Homehub, you can only change them on your PC network connection.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 163 of 207

I'm getting this problem again tonight. Websites working one minute, and the next they are unavailable.

I think there is more to it than a simple DNS issue, as I have been using Google DNS for the past few days. When I connect though a VPN which also uses Google DNS, everything works flawlessly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 164 of 207

I am getting the exact same issue tonight as well making surfing the internet very hard and frustrating.

Websites are working one minute and then the next minute they are not.

I have also tried with a VPN and the issue is gone and all websites load up up fine.

There must be an issue with the BT network or perhaps it is caused by the bad weather we have been getting recently.

I hope the issue goes away soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 165 of 207

Yup, here we go again.

Man Frustrated

Once my contract is up, I'm off from this noncense, had it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 166 of 207

My understanding is that:

BT have been forced by court orders to restrict access to certain sites. They did to their credit appeal against this but lost and have implemented it in a way that intercepts DNS requests even when using DNS servers outside of BT.

The result is that due to a misconfiguration or lack of performance on the system in question, it fails with the results we have all been experiencing recently.

Why do the government bother trying to implement solutions to problems they don't understand??

A VPN will be necessary soon to have a basic, unrestricted internet connection and not for anything illegal, making it so much more difficult to actually acheive their aims.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 167 of 207

Just to add a "me too"  in Wirral, Merseyside.

I did notice a small reduction in performance last week (?) when BT was required to remove the DLM software.  I put that down to my imagination but now I'm getting complaints that my 3rd Party=hosted website won't load and I'm finding much the same issues as everyone else - things are bad when even Google won't load!

I'm already running OpenDNS so, as someone has commented, BT are presumably intercepting traffic before it reaches the DNS servers.

John.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 168 of 207

I've been having the same problems over the last few days and thought it might be DNS related but having switched to Google's, there's no difference. Swapped router out too and then came on here to see lots of other people having the same issue.

I did try logging a fault but no luck. The support team say its a problem with my home hub so have sent a new one out. Which is part of the problem with using offshore teams working from scripts, there's no real knowledge about the technology or even context which is why its so frustrating when there's clearly a fault.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 169 of 207

The main part of the problem is having a Government requiring ISPs to implement protocols that the Governemnt doesn't understand, are completely 100% ineffective against those they're trying to catch and only serve to screw things up for everyone else.

It's like trying to do stop and search on every vehicle travelling on the M1. The bad guys take another route and, as usual, it's just the honest people who are inconvenienced!  (Sorry, rant over!)

John.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 170 of 207

I posted about the problems I am having in a different thread but it could be this that is the issue. This morning when watching twitch streams it pops up a message saying Problem detected the streamer is offline when they aren't or it buffers.

Also on the Xbox One it takes multiple attempts to log into Netflix and on the PS4 when trying to download a patch it keeps erroring out saying the request has taken to long to process.
0 Ratings