cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trapdoor
Expert
Message 21 of 207

Re: DNS

BT should be investigated by OFCOM over this as they are effectively restricting choice over which DNS servers are used by the customer; All fine and dandy if their servers were 100% reliable, but in all my years and differing ISP's, I have never experienced so many DNS issues as in the 18 months I've been a BT customer.

There really is no good reason why BT are being restrictive over which DNS servers customers are able to use; All of my devices override the DHCP-served DNS (which is the router address) and are set to use Google and I have no issues.

If you have an iPad, MAC etc, it is easier than Windows as it allows you to just override the DNS entry, even for a DHCP-served IP address - just overtype the one in there with 8.8.8.8 and re-attach to the network.

0 Ratings
LMA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 207

I hope they are not capping download totals per month like they used to do with the unlimited broadband.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 207

@trapdoor wrote:

BT should be investigated by OFCOM over this as they are effectively restricting choice over which DNS servers are used by the customer; All fine and dandy if their servers were 100% reliable, but in all my years and differing ISP's, I have never experienced so many DNS issues as in the 18 months I've been a BT customer.

There really is no good reason why BT are being restrictive over which DNS servers customers are able to use; All of my devices override the DHCP-served DNS (which is the router address) and are set to use Google and I have no issues.

If you have an iPad, MAC etc, it is easier than Windows as it allows you to just override the DNS entry, even for a DHCP-served IP address - just overtype the one in there with 8.8.8.8 and re-attach to the network.

BT do not restrict what DNS server you use. You can use any DNS server you want as is evidenced not only by yourself but also by the number of recent posters giving advice about using Googles.

All BT have done is to set the DNS on the Homehub to use their server. This is no doubt to make it as easy as possible for the non technical customers of BT to set up and get onto the Internet with as little hassle as possible.

I have been with BT for more years than I care to remember and I have never had a DNS problem and I have also not suffered from the one you were experiencing so it would appear to restircted to a certain area rather than a full BT network problem.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 207

well said GG
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 207

LMA no one s capping you
0 Ratings
ricke17
Contributor
Message 26 of 207

Still annoyingly not working - I have a Mac and have gone into network settings and added the google & open DNS - how do I know (other than webpages are working normally) that I am truly on another DNS? - will the HH5 override my changed DNS's?

Rick.

0 Ratings
ricke17
Contributor
Message 27 of 207

How do you overide the HH5 DNS?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 207

When you set your computer to which ever DNS you want to use, this turns off "Obtain DNS automatically". This means that your computer is using the DNS that you have selected and your computer does not use the Homehub's.

You can not change the DNS in the Homehub but by doing the above it means you are not using them.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 207

You're wasting your time according to this https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/DNS-hijacking/m-p/1417341/highlight/true#M98520

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Port 53 requests are being intercepted at network level, that is the same method used by Parental Controls.

It does not matter whether you use OpenDNS or any other DNS services that use the standard port 53, they will still be intercepted.

The only way around it is to have software on your computer, which passes DNS requests over a different port. I believe OpenDNS do have DNSCrypt, which does just that.

I cannot really see any issue with BT doing this, if it speeds up access to popular services.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 207

So if that is the case how have others who posted that they were having DNS problems with BT's resolved it by changing to either Google or OpenDNS.

0 Ratings