cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Guru
Message 11 of 14

Re: DO PEOPLE HAVE TO SIT OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE TO USE BTWIFI?

Hi somersetbob,

Just to let you know that a BT Retail Broadband customer will be automatically opted in for BTWifi (was called BTFon) if they became a customer since March 2009. A BT Retail Broadband customer prior to that date will need to Opt in to BTWifi (BTFon) to be able to use BTWifi/BTFon/BTOpenzone hotspots.

If the customer decides to Opt Out of BTWifi (BTFon) then their homehub will stop transmitting the BTWifi SSID but also they will not be able to use any BTWifi/BTFon/BTOpenzone hotspots until they Opt in to BTWifi (BTFon) again.

This is what the BTWifi Q&A websites says:

"How do I Use the Free and Unlimited BTWifi that I get with my BT Broadband?

If you signed up for BT Broadband since March 2009, you're already registered for BT Wi-fi, unless you've opted outYou can check your status, and opt in or out. Once you've opted in, you can get online at a BT Wi-fi hotspot using your BT Broadband email address and password."

Hope that helps explains it 🙂

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 14

@somersetbob wrote:

Opting out of Fon does not stop you using BT wifi that is part of your broadband package, it merely stops the hub transmitting a hotspot.

As imj says, you've already been told that's not correct. To avoid any doubt you may have caused, here again is what the BT WiFi T&C for BT BB customers says:

Wi-fi access outside of the home is only available if you are opted-in to BT Wi-fi.

You're also wrong to imply that BT WiFi is a guaranteed part of BB packages, as those T&C also say this:

BT reserves the right to change or withdraw this offer at any time. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 13 of 14

I don't know about the later hubs but:
If you opt out you are not allowed to use it out and about. I have no doubt about that unless Ts & Cs have changed since Pottyperson copy & pasted them.
If you opt in but set your (old) hub to not transmit BTFON then you can use it out and about. This is not called opting out.
It seems the confusion arises in people's interpretation of opting out
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 14

you cannot stop BTFON on later hubs unless you opt out.  you can always use a third party router and still opt in but not broadcast BTFON/BTWIFI

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings