cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 51 of 97

Re: DON'T JOIN BT!

Well maybe this post will be helpful to those of us that have been misled by bt.

Before joining b.t I went to their website to discover if i could indeed get b.t internet at my home address and if so what kind of speed i could expect

On the page I was asked to if I had a b.t line to which I entered no. It did a check and said that I would get an average speed of 14mgs. However when I decided to sign up I eventually got connected and lo and behold my speed was varied between 1mg and 7mg !!!!

Curiosity caused me to go back to the website and play a little game with them. When it asked if I had a b.t phone I stated yes. It then told me I would get a speed average of 4mg !!!

I went through the procedure again this time I stated that i did NOT have a line and I gave my address as next door ( they do not have a bt line. Would you believe it ? the page now states that I can expect an average of 14mg !!!

Just what are b.t playing at. Not to be undone I went through the above all over again with my screen capture running. I now have a video that clearly shows that b.t are running a con trick. As soon as I have edited my private details from the video I am going to post it on youtube and every other video sharing site I can find.

Then I shall mail a copy to the advertising standards authority. I will post a link to the video here as soon as it is live.

The object of the exorcise is to prove that thousands of people have been misled by b.t and therefore should be able to cancel their contracts without penalty.

I hope this is a useful post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 52 of 97

Hi, nobody can stop you doing what you want if you feel it will do you any good.

There is only one way to get a good estimate of speed and that is the telephone number check, not a house number check, not a postcode check..

But anyway , do please post the link, I do like youtube.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 97

I wish i'd seen these forums before signing up with BT. 

It is now 11 days since broadband was activated in my new address and the speed has so far not exceeded 100 kbps. This is after numerous calls and some 3 or 4 hours on the phone being told that i should get speeds of up to 6 Mbps. Essentially it is unusable at present.

Today, i finally got past the front row of scripts and put onto some sort of engineer who finally agreed the speeds I was getting were too slow so we now have the router plugged into the test socket inside the master. But he said that I wouldn't get more than 2 Mbps, even after at least 4 other staff had told me I would be getting 6. In fact one of them last week actually promised me I would get 6 once i had waited out my 10 days. But as of yet, the speeds have still not increased so I'm waiting another call back.

And no-one can tell me why, when I try to open the shared bthub3 connection on my computer, i keep getting the message 'connection failed'.

Or why my external hard drive cannot be seen when plugged into the home hub.

And then there was a women who spent twenty minutes trying to explain to me I should install desktop help. When I realised that was an exe file and wouldn't run on my mac then i very nearly through the home hub out of the window. 

Anyway, I rang an independent engineer to come and look at the line because it seems to me that BT are really not interested in solving the problems I'm having and I'm fed up to the back teeth with the service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 97

welcome to the forum

can I suggest you start your own subject and then the replies will be specific to your problem

the hard drive connected to the usb port need to be formatted to FAT32 not NTFS

if you have your attenuation from your stats then enter here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  this will give an odea of possible speed your line should get.

if you want some more assistance then in your own subject please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 97

Hi imjolly,

thanks for the info and you're quite right. i apologise for diving in here. I'll check over the things you suggested and post my own thread for help. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 56 of 97

no problem   see you later  lol

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 57 of 97

i agree with most of the previous posts ! I started a contract at the start of the year - phone and ""superfast" infinity broadband . I seem to have the same issues with poor performance and intermittant dropping of the internet connection and general poor quaality telephone quality. The BT fault logging procedure is awful , they blame youe equipment and threaten charges for fixing it and then close your call without anything being done . I do a lot of work from home and rely on the broadband and with this level of service it looks impossible for me to stay with BT !! Another post mentions lies ....maybe a bit strong ....just an inability to make any useful truthful statements !!

From Fed up , Angry and leaving as soon as I can !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 58 of 97

Hi all internal wiring within your home after the master socket is your responsibility that is the reference to any charges that may be payable also you appear to be using a residential service for work there is NO guarantee of constant connection or speed on a residential service you may consider a BT Business service Poor quality phone service is reported to BT Faults
this may help you

Have you tried another known working telephone into that test socket without an ADSL fiter.
If you have done all that you will need to report to your comms provider, if its BT Retail you will need to call them on 0800 800 151 or 0330 123 4151 from a mobile phone.
They will mention about charges but as long as you have done as suggested and you have not damaged any of the incoming wiring there "should" be no charge. when you phone do NOT mention broadband once any noise on your line is solved then your broadband will improve

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 59 of 97

When you read a thread like this you sometimes wonder whether this is full of people who have noting better to do with their time than moan.

For this I will merely state the facts and hope that someone from BT will read thses forums occassionally and think that maybe something needs to be done.

Installation

I was promised a phone/ broadband in my new premises by the end of the first week of December.

Engineer battled through the snow and as good as gold connected the phone. Said it would take until 21st December to connect.

On the 23rd December I managed to contact BT who stated that the Engineer hadnt told them that he had connected the line and I would now have to wait until 6th Jan to be connected.

On the 6th Jan I was told that the right proceedures still hadnt been complied and that no-one had instructed that the broadband should be activated with but that I would be given priority as it was their mistake. On the 12th Jan I was told that it would be connected within 7 working days and I blew my top and insisted I speak to a manager. Within 2 hours I was " live".

On the 13th Jan , I received my first months bill with rental from 10th December.

2 month later

My phone went dead for 24 hours as an Engineer had accidentally disconnected my phone line when putting a new one in for a neighbour.

2 weeks later

Phone unintelligible with static and there was no internet. 3 days later it was fixed with no explanation

Present 

Static has come back and internet speed non existant. It has so far taken 2 days but I have been promised they will connect by 5pm.

I cannot work without the internet / main line phone and since 23rd December ( which was my first stated date for going live ) I have had to close my office door ( to work from home) for 14 working days.

That has genuinley affected my first 6 months trading from my new premises and I know it has cost me customers and affected my ability to deliver a consistent service.

How can BT get away with it? It morally stinks but I dont expect anyone at BT to care. They will just threaten to cut me off if i cant pay- even though the reason I cant pay is down to their inefficiencies. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 60 of 97

@Phill-istine wrote:

When you read a thread like this you sometimes wonder whether this is full of people who have noting better to do with their time than moan.

For this I will merely state the facts and hope that someone from BT will read thses forums occassionally and think that maybe something needs to be done.

Installation

I was promised a phone/ broadband in my new premises by the end of the first week of December.

Engineer battled through the snow and as good as gold connected the phone. Said it would take until 21st December to connect.

On the 23rd December I managed to contact BT who stated that the Engineer hadnt told them that he had connected the line and I would now have to wait until 6th Jan to be connected.

On the 6th Jan I was told that the right proceedures still hadnt been complied and that no-one had instructed that the broadband should be activated with but that I would be given priority as it was their mistake. On the 12th Jan I was told that it would be connected within 7 working days and I blew my top and insisted I speak to a manager. Within 2 hours I was " live".

On the 13th Jan , I received my first months bill with rental from 10th December.

2 month later

My phone went dead for 24 hours as an Engineer had accidentally disconnected my phone line when putting a new one in for a neighbour.

2 weeks later

Phone unintelligible with static and there was no internet. 3 days later it was fixed with no explanation

Present 

Static has come back and internet speed non existant. It has so far taken 2 days but I have been promised they will connect by 5pm.

I cannot work without the internet / main line phone and since 23rd December ( which was my first stated date for going live ) I have had to close my office door ( to work from home) for 14 working days.

That has genuinley affected my first 6 months trading from my new premises and I know it has cost me customers and affected my ability to deliver a consistent service.

How can BT get away with it? It morally stinks but I dont expect anyone at BT to care. They will just threaten to cut me off if i cant pay- even though the reason I cant pay is down to their inefficiencies. 

Hi. This is a BT customer to Customer forum for residential customers using a home phone/broadband service.

I see that you are in business , so for a better service level you should be with a Business phone and broadband service.

If you do have a business phone and broadband, then unfortunatly you are in the wrong forums. You nedd the BT Business forum, here:  http://business.forums.bt.com/

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings