Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: DSL Checker new section???

Go to solution

@gspearson

VRI is mentioned, as in mentioned, not explained, in some Openreach PDF files.  Like the one in this link:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/eipcommunications/downloads/EIP1R3450.pdf

If it's really bugging you why not ask Openreach?

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
Ah, looks like it might have something to do with SOGEA.

That's Single Order Generic Ethernet Access.

It's basically Naked DSL. I know Openreach are trialling it at the minute.

Basically they'll give you a line from the PCP only, not one going back to the Exchange.

You'll get Broadband as Standard and if you want a phone service then you get VOiP.

I suppose it's a bit like TPON but not quite.

It's all to do with getting rid of Exchanges by 2025.
0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
Would this result in better speeds or would it just be to get rid of the need for an exchange
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Won't be any different, it is just broadband without a physical phone line as well.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Does VOIP burble like mobile phones do?  I seldom use my iPhone (or the predecessor, my Blackberry) as a phone because the sound quality is so poor compared to my excellent BT landline.

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution
Nah, won't make a blind bit of difference to your speed because the distance from the DSLAM/PCP will remain the same.

The reason they want rid of the Exchanges is because they're to expensive to maintain and also BT don't actually own them. They sold them to Marconi back in the late 1990's after the who BT Cellnet disaster and then bought a 30 year lease on them.

That lease is coming to an end and Marconi want most of them back, not for the building itself but the land they sit on. There's already one Exchange they've taken back, I think it was in Kensington, London. No second guess needed as to why they want it back, The building and land it sits on will be worth tens if not hundreds of millions.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Marconi ceased to exist in 2003.

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
Oh yeah, see the assets were sold to different Companies. Wonder who owns the Exchanges now, wouldn't surprise me if BT don't even know.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution
Such the cynic
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution
VRI - Voice Reinjection.

It's the option to add voice services to a standalone VDSL/G.Fast Broadband Service.

0 Ratings