cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

DSL extension cable

I recently moved my router and purchased a 5m ADSL cable and all seemed to work fine but I have now realised I cant seem to use my wireless printer or wireless speaker. They all seem connected but cant be found when using the associated Apps. I have now noticed that the cable I bought has 4 wires in it when the original one installed by BT only has 2 in it.

A. Would that have caused my problem and?

B. where can I purchase  the same cable installed but 5m in length?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: DSL extension cable

The broadband cable would have no bearing on that, as only two wires are needed anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Keith
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I suspect that you have moved your hub out of wifi range of the devices, although they may appear to be connected the link may be too poor to work.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@licquoricewrote:

I suspect that you have moved your hub out of wifi range of the devices, although they may appear to be connected the link may be too poor to work.

Yes, That was my case some time ago. Three walls between one of our wifi connected computers and the hub. Although I could see everything, printing simply would not work. Simply moving the computer away from the wall about 6" solved the problem!

Until I solved that, weirdly, I was able to send what I wanted printed to our main ethernet connected computer and print from that machine! That too is wifi connected to our printer but is only a few feet away. I suspect the computer wifi is better than that of our cheapo Epson printer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the advice but basically the Hub, router, printer, lap top have all been moved together from one end of the room to the other the only difference being the 5 m DSL cable. I have an Alexa dot that works at the back of the garden on WiFi some 50 feet away, the Air speaker is in the next room and the printer is sitting under the Hub!! I don't know enough about this stuff so sending me mad. 

0 Ratings