Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

DSL light off or flashing but Broadband light on HH3 lit

As above really,

Yesterday at about this time and again this morning I get a situation where the DSL light on the modem is off or flashing whilst the blue Broadband light on the HH3 is still on. Obviously when this happens I lose BB connection, but it seems to continue with the DSL light being on then off then flashing for about an hour and then for the rest of the day the connection is solid again.

When connection is good I am getting 70 D/l speed and 15 U/L speed

Any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: DSL light off or flashing but Broadband light on HH3 lit

I wouldnt have thought this would affect the modem but have you checked whether the HH has power save turned on and co incides with these times?

Other than that, I can only presume something at the exchange if its the same time every day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

If the DSL light on the Openreach Modem is flashing then it means the connection has dropped. The modem is attempting to connect and sync with the FTTC DSLAM. This can take a couple of seconds to a few minutes normally if it takes longer then it suggests there is another issue going on. Which could be a line fault or maybe an issue at the cabinet such as loss of power.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the replies,

The connection has been bad all day, there is a lot of audible noise on the line which I assume is the cause of the problem.

The speed profile has also now dropped, I noticed a couple of times that picking up the phone handset to check the noise on the line caused the DSL light to go out as well.

I will see what the situation is like tomorrow and see if it needs reporting to BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I've had engineers round to fix a similar problem. If there's noise on the line, you need to make sure none of your equipment is causing it ie telephone extension in the circuit, faulty handset etc.

Once you are sure these arent the cause, call and engineer. If your equipment is the cause of the noise, you will be charged about £100 to find this out.
0 Ratings