cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

DSL line going down every 30 minutes, every night.

Hi,

I've been having connection issues since August and they've only gotten worse as the months have gone by. Connection started perfectly fine and then after the August incident, I just get frequent connection drops. I've called BT support and they've told me the following with each call:

1. There has been an issue with my line that has been fixed
  2. There is not an issue with my line, my WiFi is just broken, used wired
  3. There isn't an issue with my line, reboot my router
  4. My microfilters are broken, please replace them
  5. My router is broken, please replace it

I finally gave up after the last few nights results in connection drops occuring every 10 minutes and I cannot figure out why. So I checked the logs and I get a lot of the following:

21:49:34, 21 Nov.(49783.110000) PTM over DSL is down after 22 minutes uptime
21:49:34, 21 Nov.(49783.110000) PPPoE is down after 21 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]

To save people time, I've done DSL checker, here are the results:

Additional Info:

- I am on the master socket, it is a single socket type

- I am using a home hub 5A

- I have used another router recently to check if it was the home hub and had the exact same issues (it even logged that my DSL line is unstable)

- I don't have a wired telephone but I have a wireless one and I could not hear any noise coming from it.

- Problems only occur when someone uses the internet (for example, the connection will not drop while no one is in the house, todays logs proved that connection first dropped when I got home)

I'm stumped. BT support aren't offering any help and they're certainly not refunding me for the lost service. So I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: DSL line going down every 30 minutes, every night.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Do the drops coincide with anything in your house being turned on, such as central heating, TV, microwave etc?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

XRaySpex, OK what do you need when you say full router stats?

gg30340, I don't think so?

EDIT: To answer more questions. Here's the master socket:

There's 2 other sockets, one in the bedroom, one in the living room. No phones are connected.

EDIT 2: Found them:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ52011443
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 13/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:15:33
6. Data rate:9995 / 55000
7. Maximum data rate:26989 / 83703
8. Noise margin:18.5 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation:14.5 / 14.8
10. Signal attenuation:14.4 / 14.8
11. Data sent/received:3.1 MB / 7.7 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C689
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:7
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C689-5GHZ
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:48
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:54:64:d9:15:82:64
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . It should include Speeds, Max Speeds, Noise Margins & Attenuations. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

The test socket is where that white cable is already plugged in on the R.

With the faceplate removed as in that pix, are there dial tones on the 2 other sockets?

And now for the QLT?

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Tested the extensions, no dial tone. Dial tone on master socket.

I don't have a corded telephone but there was no abnormal noise beyond what I normally hear on the cordless phone on the quiet line test.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Put faceplate back on and went to bed. Lime disconnected 3 times in 10 minutes, only thing actively using the Internet was my phone. Heating didn't come on, all lights off. Also worth mentioning that I didn't get a single disconnect for the hour I was connected to the test port.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@Tensketch wrote:
Also worth mentioning that I didn't get a single disconnect for the hour I was connected to the test port.

Indicates fault with faceplate or extensions.

Can you run at test socket all the time?

Is it worth carefully removing extension wiring from back of faceplate before running again from faceplate?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Tensketch wrote:
Put faceplate back on and went to bed. Lime disconnected 3 times in 10 minutes, only thing actively using the Internet was my phone. Heating didn't come on, all lights off. Also worth mentioning that I didn't get a single disconnect for the hour I was connected to the test port.

@Tensketch

If you can plug the home hub in at that location, then the simplest solution is to fit a filtered faceplate like this, which replaces the bottom removable section.

Lindy Filtered Faceplate, about £12

This has the filter built in, and has separate sockets for phone and home hub, so you do not need a microfilter.

The extension wiring (if needed) are connected to the back.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Hi both,

I rent this place so I definitely don't have permission to replace faceplates. We don't use the home phone line so if leaving it connected to the test port will fix it then I'm happy to that until I leave.

Is it worth telling my landlord about this wiring issue?
0 Ratings