cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 13

Re: DSL line going down every 30 minutes, every night.

I cannot see that changing the faceplate would cause any issue with the landlord, as its not part of the house fixtures, and its unlikely the landlord would know what you are talking about anyway, as there is nothing physically wrong with the extensions or faceplate, its just that the extensions are picking up interference and causing the broadband to disconnect.

Its more likely if they see the cover hanging off, they are going to want to know what is going on.

Anyway, its up to you, and the landlord, and how long you expect to be there.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 12 of 13

Thanks everyone for the help, I genuinely appreciate it.

I'm gonna keep the router plugged directly into the test port for now and monitor it for a few days to see if it fixes the problem. I'm the type of person who prefers to understand what the fix entails. So I'd really appreciate it if someone can explain the following:

- The use of the test port is on the master socket

- Why issues with extension sockets could potentially cause issues with a router plugged into the master socket

- The benefit of using a dual port socket over a single port with a microfilter

Thanks again, I'll reply later tonight after a day in the test port.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 13

@Tensketch wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help, I genuinely appreciate it.

I'm gonna keep the router plugged directly into the test port for now and monitor it for a few days to see if it fixes the problem. I'm the type of person who prefers to understand what the fix entails. So I'd really appreciate it if someone can explain the following:

- Why issues with extension sockets could potentially cause issues with a router plugged into the master socket

Thanks again, I'll reply later tonight after a day in the test port.

The test socket is the main entry point for your phone line, anything before that test point is not your responsibility as it belongs to Openreach.

By plugging into that test socket you are eliminating any problem that might be caused by the external line.

Broadband used high frequency signals which can be "lost" if they have to travel along electrically unbalanced extension wiring, reducing the speed.

Extension wiring also act like an aerial, and will pick up unwanted radio signals and electrical noise, and cause loss of broadband speed.

Its a much neater arrangement, and will still allow the extensions to be used to plug in phones, Sky boxes, or alarm circuits etc, without affecting the broadband signal.

The dual port socket filters out the broadband signal so it cannot appear at the phone socket, or the extensions.

It also stops unwanted signals being introduced into the broadband signal.

This is why I suggested it, as it will look better, and will not interfere with any future tenants use of the phone extensions.