Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Daisy chained slave to slave solution sought

Go to solution

I currently have an unfiltered VDSL signal going from the A&B connectors off the Mk4 Master Socket to a slave socket in the home office.  From that slave runs a further cable to a second slave in the next room (daisy chain, approximately 4 metres in lenght).  This second slave is no longer in use.

Simply on a hunch I disconnected this second slave from the first at the home office end.  I immediately saw a jump of 7Mb in broadband speed with the upload now on maximum plus a higher sync rate.  Although the second slave wasn’t being used I’m wondering if there is a way of keeping it connected to the first without losing the increase in speed?

Cabling the second slave back to the MS would be a real pain so not an option.  The slaves are standard 65x65mm sockets and given we have just decorated the wife won’t be happy if the suggestion is to make more holes in the wall for a larger socket.

Finally why, given there is no issue with the wiring to the second slave plus it wasn’t in use, was this having such a detrimental effect on the broadband speed?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Daisy chained slave to slave solution sought

Go to solution

Because it was acting as an aerial and picking up interference. You are also probably getting reflections from the un-terminated spur. If it is not being used, why do you need to keep it connected?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Because it was acting as an aerial and picking up interference. You are also probably getting reflections from the un-terminated spur. If it is not being used, why do you need to keep it connected?

Hi liquorice.

Thanks for the prompt response and info.  I wondered if the lead was acting as some kind of aerial myself but didn't know enough about the subject to confirm one way or the other.

RE: the slave.  It is no longer used, it was put in for Sky multi-room but is now redundant as we no longer have this and I'm not sure if Sky actually makes you have a second box connected any more.  I just thought that as it's there it could be used for an extra phone if we ever wanted one. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Its probably as much the reflections of the signal as it is interference, but either way I would leave it disconnected. You could always extend a filtered pair from the master to the first slave using a spare pair in the cable and then onward to the second if you only wanted a phone signal.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I probably will leave it disconnected, becauses as you say it's likely to cause less issues that way.

If I did decide to connect there are spares on the cable which runs from the MS to the first slave.  So let me get this in my head, if I were to do this.  I would connect the first slave using the spare twisted pairs and punch down to pins 2&5 in the MS then connect the second slave to pins 2&5 in the first slave (these two pins already carrying the unfiltered signal from A&B on the MS).

If I have the wiring correct, I assume I would then need to pop a filter on the second slave and connect a phone to the filter? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

No, if you only want telephony at the second slave I would connect spare pair to 2&5 in master then just crimp together  in first slave to pair going off to second slave 2&5. I.e dont make any connections in first slave just use as a location to join cables. That way you will have an unfiltered socket at slave1 which you can use for broadband (and also phone with a filter if required) and phone only (no filter required) at slave 2. Hope that makes sense.

pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Either that or get wireless phones.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

No, if you only want telephony at the second slave I would connect spare pair to 2&5 in master then just crimp together  in first slave to pair going off to second slave 2&5. I.e dont make any connections in first slave just use as a location to join cables. That way you will have an unfiltered socket at slave1 which you can use for broadband (and also phone with a filter if required) and phone only (no filter required) at slave 2. Hope that makes sense.

Yes liquorice, I think I follow your advice, thanks.  Simply join the spare twisted pair from 2&5 in MS to slave 2 wires already located in slave 1 but currently doing nothing.  A couple of jellies should do the job. 

As things stand though I think I will leave well alone as we don't need that second slave and I'm getting good speeds with slave 2 disconnected.  I'm amazed that simply having a socket daisy chainged in this manner could impact speeds by as much as 7 or 8Mb. Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yep